Can a Beginner do this with AS Pro?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

EwanG

Can a Beginner do this with AS Pro?

Post by EwanG »

I happen to be a rather big fan of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, and since there don't seem to be any more OAVs coming out for it, I've decided to do my own :D

While I have some minor art abilities (shown in my one Visual Novel - Senior Year), my main talent is in writing and editing, with a little sound production mixed in.

What I'm "hoping" I can do with ASP is to take some of the manga art and/or screen captures from the OAV to get my characters and backgrounds, bone them in ASP, add in the lip syncs using Papagayo (english since that's what I have access to for voice actors), and generally do my first episode covering the chapters 45, 43, and 49.

Since this will be a free production (basically a video dojinshi), I'd like to know beforehand if this is worth my sinking the money into. I don't mind putting in the time, and my friends are willing to work for free also, so the only real question is if I'm dreaming to think that for a little additional investment I can pull this off?

Appreciate your help with my decision,
Ewan
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

I'm not familiar with that animation but in general what you are purposing to do isn't impossible and may not even be all that difficult.

The only thing that worries me is your idea to use screen captures for your artwork -- in general you're much better off creating vector art even if it means you are tracing your stuff. So that would be what I would recommend -- using those screen captures to trace your characters.

I've done this for my grandkids -- they have a whole set of Mr. Incredible new adventures thanks to this and the artwork stands up to even kid critical eyes. I took screen captures and created all the major characters and did basically all that you are attempting to do. I can create a half hour show in about a week (assuming I have the basic sets -- it takes a day to trace all the sets I need for a half hour show).

You need to learn how to use the AS drawing tools, but it shouldn't take more than a week to get real comfortable with them. Creating the vector equivilent gives you SO many advantages over trying to use cutouts at screen res I wouldn't go any other way (and if an old fart like me can do it, you can probably do it better and quicker).
EwanG

Post by EwanG »

mkelley wrote:I've done this for my grandkids -- they have a whole set of Mr. Incredible new adventures thanks to this and the artwork stands up to even kid critical eyes.
Would love to see these if you've got them up somewhere...
mkelley wrote:I took screen captures and created all the major characters and did basically all that you are attempting to do. I can create a half hour show in about a week (assuming I have the basic sets -- it takes a day to trace all the sets I need for a half hour show).
Sounds like what I had in mind, though I didn't think it would go that fast.
mkelley wrote:You need to learn how to use the AS drawing tools, but it shouldn't take more than a week to get real comfortable with them. Creating the vector equivilent gives you SO many advantages over trying to use cutouts at screen res I wouldn't go any other way (and if an old fart like me can do it, you can probably do it better and quicker).
I'm 46, so I doubt you're THAT much older than I am. Still, you've sold me. In fact, they should have this message as a quote on the box!

Guess I'd better get out the credit card and get going. Only remaining question - do you (or anyone else reading) have any books or sites you'd recommend?
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

I would just like to add, once you have drawn your characters in AnimeStudio and have them rigged with bones or cutout style and save the animations as actions, your first episode will take the longest. But every episode after that will be much faster as you can re-use your characters, props and even animations if they're created as actions. :wink:

As for getting started, read the manual and do the tutorials. Search the forum for things that might help you. As most have already been asked. And, of course, ask your own questions here on the forum. This is a pretty good community when it comes to helping. :D
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Yeah, Baker is right -- it took me about two weeks to do all the characters, another week or so for the sets. After that it was easy to do the animation.

I don't have these up anywhere -- Disney is about the harshest there is when it comes to copyright infringement. I'd be scared to death to post them (I live near Orlando and am quite familiar with The Mouse -- even worked for him for a while). I have another animation series I'd be more willing to share (it's "inspired" by the characters in American Dad and Family Guy -- I used many of their secondary characters as models for my own but isn't so dead on I'd be apt to get sued. Besides, I'm not as afraid of Seth as I am of Bird) and it was done using the same techniques, but the episodes are so long there's just no where I can host them (and I'm not going to break them down for YouTube consumption).

However, I did three or four test small animations (3 minutes or less) with that approach I will post on YouTube if you want -- I just don't want folks harping on me for not being "original". If you're interested PM me here and I'll share the link.

And, yes, you're not a kid anymore but still a good ten years younger -- I wish I were your age (then again, I'm retired and enjoying the life :>). Good news is that this stuff is easy enough even for old folks to learn and use.

As for books -- all the great animation books are helpful. Animator's Survival Kit, Disney's Art of Animation, Cartoon Animation, by Preston Blair -- all of these (and more) have helpful hints that will serve you in good stead. I've learned something from all of them and keep learning every day. You will continue to grow and get better and better with each effort (I can't believe how much better I've gotten just in the few months I've been playing with AS0.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I also have another book recommendation for improving your drawing skills: Vincent has worked as an animation character designer with Richard Williams ("Who framed Roger Rabbit"), especially for the television commercials that the studio did. The book is very affordable and chuck full of good drawings and designs, which imho are very animateable. If you're a non-English speaker, be sure to check your local bookstore for a translation (like I did).