Import characters

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

genieworx

Import characters

Post by genieworx »

I think moho is wonderful and i am new at this so have a lot of questions..sorrry..

I have rigged this character and animated it and all... Now i want to take that character and use it in another sequence. My problem is when i import the Moho file in to the other sequence it takes all the keyframes with it too..Is there a way to just take in the character with the bones and all those instead of the movements...

thanks
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

No. When you import one layer into another project, all its animation comes with it. However, it's easy to get rid of the animation: select the layer you just imported, and use the Animation->Clear Animation From Layer menu command.
genieworx

Post by genieworx »

that works.. great thanks
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

And you might want to learn yourself to save characters after designing and rigging them before animating and build a library of characters. You can put those characters together in one big library if you like. Then when you need them, import an object, select the library project and it's ready to go. No need for deleting keys or tweaking every time you want to use them. For recurring characters and ongoing series this method might make the workflow faster.

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

If I set up a character and import that one into scenes, can I then, if I have animated a couple of scenes and decided the character needs some adjustments or such, fix the character scene and then import it again into the scenes where it's used or update it in some other way? (like referenses in Maya works)
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

I don't think so but I did do it the other way around. I added some face positions with switch layers and used that new and improved character for new scenes. So basically export that character to the library and delete the animation keys. Planning ahead would be best but this workaround worked for me.

I hope it makes sense, it's more difficult to explain than actually doing it...

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

rylleman: No, Moho does not retain a "link" to the imported character. When you import an object from another Moho file, it makes a copy of the original. Any changes you make to either one will not affect the other.