Animation to a GIF

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

pihms

Animation to a GIF

Post by pihms »

I created a 110 frame animation, 1900 X 594, using a combination of vectors and rasters. It's being used for a website, Google Sites, that only accepts GIFs for animations to display.

This is an example of what was produced from Moho:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmPmCMOjgF-s5WqGKWK ... m?e=2wgOKJ

I then saved it as a mp4 and then uploaded it to a website that converts mp4's to gif's:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmPmCMOjgF-s5WvECVf ... 2?e=6KkmYq

I would prefer just to create the GIF in Moho. I tried various settings to export as a GIF, nothing improved. Any thoughts on how to fix this within Moho would be appreciated.

The focus is really with the lightbulb character, but I'm sure it would apply to other instances as they came up.
NanotechBeasts

Re: Animation to a GIF

Post by NanotechBeasts »

I have had a similar experience with using Moho to create a gif. I don't know of any work around other than third party software but maybe I am wrong.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I use Moho to create GIFs for the forums all the time. The trick is to set the color palette before rendering because GIF is limited to a total of only 256 colors.

To do this, go to a frame that contains all the colors and is most representative of the animation and press Ctrl+R. Then, at the bottom of the window, click the Sample GIF Colors button. This informs Moho of the desired color palette when you render the GIF.

When rendering the GIF, choose an appropriate target number...you don't want to use more than you need. If you need a very wide range of colors because of gradients, you'll probably want to use 256 colors with Dithering enabled.

Note: 1900 x 594 is unusually large for a GIF. If the animation's duration is long and has a high framerate, it might not load and play efficiently. Some sites may even reject it because of the load time. For example, I know the LM forums have a limit fairly small size and frame limit. Just something to think about.

For Moho animations for this forum, I use Moho to render, and I try to keep the GIF settings roughly within 480 pixels or smaller, and a 15 or 12 fps frame rate. I'll use 256 colors and dithering when there are gradients.

For Moho UI demonstrations, I like to use Camtasia. Same output limitations: small frame size (720 pixels wide or smaller, a lot smaller if I can get away with it,) 15 fps, 256 colors and dithering.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri May 10, 2024 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
pihms

Post by pihms »

Great help, and advice! I’ll give those recommendations a try.