How do I make a sound start at a specific point?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

egypturnash

How do I make a sound start at a specific point?

Post by egypturnash »

I am trying to do a casual little exercise of "take some music, draw a character, make them bounce to it". I've got the appropriate music file in Moho along with a file where I plan to draw the character in question, but the beat doesn't really kick in until like frame 384.

How can I make this music file start playing at the desired point?

The manual mentions an "audio jump" and "media jump" channel in the section on the Timeline window, which sounds promising, but they aren't listed as options in view>timeline channels...

I have found the workaround of command-left/right-clicking the time ruler to set start/end points for playback, so that's good enough for now, but there's got to be a better way to skip over the intro that's not "go edit it in another program", right?

This is with Moho Pro 12.5.1, if it makes any difference.
old lady who might finally be recovering from having worked at Spumco at the turn of the century
Greenlaw

Re: How do I make a sound start at a specific point?

Post by Greenlaw »

The easiest way is to go into Sequencer and just slide the audio clip to the frame where you want it to start.

FWIW, sound editing in Moho is very limited so you might consider doing that in another program.

For example, before working in Moho, I will create an animatic in a video editor and add/mix my sounds there. Then I export this footage for visual and audio reference in Moho. Additional tip: I prefer to render the visual reference as a JPEG sequence and the audio as an uncompressed .wav or .aif. This gives me exact frame accuracy, which is critical for lipsync animation. When I finish animating the scene, I render the footage from Moho without audio because the final sound already exists in the editor. Finally, I overcut the animatic scene footage in my video editor with the final animation footage. When I've replaced all the animatic scenes with final animated versions, I'm done. This is a fairly standard animation production workflow because it offers more flexibility on many levels.

Hope this helps.
egypturnash

Re: How do I make a sound start at a specific point?

Post by egypturnash »

Ah, thanks, I have not touched the Sequencer yet! Now I can play around without worrying about stuff like "oh god I turned on some bone physics and now Moho has to calculate 300 frames of their motion before it can skip the playhead to where I have said the actual animation starts".

And yeah, I'm not expecting more than rudimentary sound editing out of Moho, if I actually get to the point of doing more than little beginner exercises with this I am probably going to look around for someone who actually enjoys mixing sounds. And maybe borrow a bunch of staging tricks from anime to avoid doing as much lipsync as I can, I really do not miss the time I spent tediously moving keyframes back and forth to make Dirty Dog swear at Cigarettes the Cat back in the Flash days. Save really nailing the lipflap for places where the acting matters. At least now there's dedicated tools to help figure that out, I went through the section of the tutorials that introduces me to Papagayo and I've seen mention of a couple other lipsync apps around here.

...I wonder how many characters from the comic I'm thinking of rebooting as animated shorts I could get away with redesigning to not have visible mouths. :)
old lady who might finally be recovering from having worked at Spumco at the turn of the century