Rendering with Renderfarm

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GuyTahiti

Rendering with Renderfarm

Post by GuyTahiti »

I'm new to Moho and I'm discovering it every day.

5 years ago I built a computer farm for Maya and Blender.
It contains the Asus KGPE D16 motherboard which is a dual processor board.
I put two AMD Opteron Sixteen Core (model 6376- 2.3 GHZ)
8 HyperX FURY 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 1333MHz DDR3 CL9 DIMM memory sticks.

This computer farm works well. Having just started using Moho,
I tried to send a first scene of 1450 frames (it's a long left to right pano following a character in a coconut forest).
But, to my surprise, the rendering is slower on this machine than on my work computer which is less powerful, with only one CPU (with 4 cores). On Maya the rendering goes from 10 minutes per frame on mu computer to 11 seconds per frame on this renderfarm.
What I don't understand is that only 4 CPUs are displayed in the Moho renderer window. Normally there are 32 cores. And only 4 cores are used.
Is there any way to get all 32 cores working at once or is Moho limited to 4 CPUs?
Thanks for your help.

GuyTahiti
Borchc

Re: Rendering with Renderfarm

Post by Borchc »

Yes, Moho has this problem.
At the moment, the performance per core is more important for it than the overall performance of the processor.
And what's more, rendering on all cores gives more artifacts than on one core.
Iron in it is used very mediocrely...
GuyTahiti

Post by GuyTahiti »

Many thanks for your answer.
MrMiracle77

Post by MrMiracle77 »

I'm not at my home computer right now to check, but you can adjust the number of cores available to Moho in its preferences. My main computer renders to 6 while my 'farm' computer renders to 2 (even though four threads are available).

Opteron processors from that era support quad-channel memory. Since both Moho and Blender are memory intensive applications, you may be able to cheaply upgrade your farm to either 4 x 4 GB DIMMs or 4 x 8 GB DIMMs and ensure 'quad channel' memory is enabled in the BIOS. Memory is sensitive to minor differences in timing, so be sure every DIMM is identical.
- Dave

(As Your GM)