My 13.5 Pro Review- A triumphant return to animation glory!

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

PRIMAL MORON

My 13.5 Pro Review- A triumphant return to animation glory!

Post by PRIMAL MORON »

HI there, decided to try the update due to having 13 pro already, and I'd like to offer my feedback after using the program for almost 2 decades, this particular version is well written, and I dearly hope I nail the points home in my extended look for others to see.
(If you admins are reading this, feel free to offer it for testimonial purposes if you'd like, I have plenty of insight as I've had for almost 20 years.)

-Introduction-
I'm thrilled to learn that the original owners, Lost Marble, have reacquired the rights and means to reproduce this software for any purpose needed to improve it for the common good of animation, assets, and artwork. I find no greater joy than opening up Moho each and every day to fulfill my client's needs and specifications to a tee, as it has provided me with everything i have needed during some good and dark times in my life. Animation isn't an easy feat for one at a glance, but Moho Pro 13.5 Might be the next step to changing that, as it grows more powerful with this release, adding wind dynamics, Vitruvian bones, and Smart Quad-form Warping. (in addition to triangular warping from previous iterations) Although this version is solely based on Moho Pro 12 (back then, when it was Anime Studio Pro 12) and it fixes many issues that 13 could not, such as compatibility with certain OSes Like Big Sur from Apple software and hardware.

--Vitruvian Bones--
Moho Pro 13.5 also up to date on many aspects of it's already keen bone system with the new Vitruvian Bones, based on Classic Artist and Inventor Leonardo Da Vinci's famous drawing by the same name. These bones are structured a bit differently and allow a great deal of control I never thought was possible, although a bit more difficult than a rig-and-go situation, they're quite fluent and once built correctly, will do wonders for the curious animators and wow some crowds. The "V-bones" utilize the drawing concept in quite a clever way, laying out all options bare before you for poses and the like in a simple, diagraph manner to hide all but the active set of bones and parts, creating the illusion of hands opening and closing, parts getting changed on the fly, rather than by just vector, and clear choices that make sense for context of your animation, to me, this is a stroke of pure genius, and it makes sense in all matters to finally honor Mr Da Vinci's work in the modern era so well.

---Wind Dynamics---
As for the wind dynamics, I had a good time with these, they really blew me away! (pun entirely intended, heh.) and more often then not, they could be controlled by bone structures that were simple, and didn't require a lot of intense structure. The ideal use on backgrounds. trees, bushes, even grass, has made this one heck of a success in my book, the controls, speed, variations, and even some extra elements of the wind could vary it, making it perfectly natural for the ever difficult "wind in the hair" look, often difficult to non experienced animators, now made so simple, it's a breeze. (Last pun, I promise!) As for the usage, the possibilities are absolutely endless, you could do even better physics tests, better snowstorms, or simulate cartoon wind itself! I even found uses for it involving sound blasts and impacts, it has the best simulation of any 2d wind concept I've seen.

----Smart Quad Warping----
Last for the new features, the Smart Quad Warping, or using rectangular shapes as well as triangular is nothing new, but the results are stunning and visually appealing to people who simulate 3d. (Like myself.) I find comfort in knowing that this feature has been taken to the next level without the need for triangulation first, it offers a lot of new possibilities for making objects distort more to your taste and style, even images can utilize this, which is fantastic, like it's predecessor of triangular nature. I don't have much to say beyond this due to the extent of it's uses, but if you're looking for something akin to perspective warping without photoshop, this might be your best bet!

-----Extra! Tidbits about Filetypes-----
As for tidbits, I discovered there were some brand new filetypes accepted as outputs in the exporter, such as WebP, Tiff, and other modern video formats. Many of 13's existing features were fully incorporated as if this really is the next step up, without compromising the power or compatibility of the software itself.

------In Conclusion, There's lot more to Discover!------
I only covered a small bit of info compared to what you can really get out of this software, I only covered new features and add ons for my review as on this current version. There's lots of fun and function to be had, so if you're on the fence about purchasing, take it from a pro, it's worth it, welcome back, Lost Marble, and welcome home, Moho!