1.6GB of free WHAT?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

cartoonmick

1.6GB of free WHAT?

Post by cartoonmick »

Hi. I've been using Moho for several years now and I'm about to buy a new computer.

Moho system requirements call for 1.6GB of free hard drive space or higher.

I'm assuming they're referring to a HDD.

My question is, " instead of a HDD, will Moho work with a SSD ?? "
slowtiger

Re: 1.6GB of free WHAT?

Post by slowtiger »

Yes, of course.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, it doesn't matter. SDD is much faster but, like HDD, it's just storage space.

In my experience, SDD works great for the system drive because the computer boots up significantly faster. However, as a work drive, it doesn't seem to last like an HDD. I typically use both types in my personal computers.

In my current laptop, I use an SSD for the system/programs, an HDD for everyday work and user files (projects, docs, downloads, etc,) and a second SSD for projects where I need optimal performance (mainly motion capture.) I think for most people, a second SSD probably isn't necessary unless they really need the speed performance. (I don't think it's necessary for most Moho projects but it depends on what you're doing with Moho.)

IMO, if you do use an SSD, be sure to back everything up from it regularly. I'm serious, they're nice but they really don't last like an HDD. Use an external HDD for the backup, they're a lot cheaper.
cartoonmick

Post by cartoonmick »

Thank you slowtiger and Greenlaw for your responses, appreciated.

Also, an interesting insight to your thoughts on the SSD / HDD combo. I'll talk to my computer building techo about it next week when consulting Mohos system requirements for my new desktop PC.

I would have thought the HDD wore out long before the SSD, but not necessarily so. It seems those fast moving electrons will eventually wear out the internals of the SSD.

Cheers.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, I think most computer users will find SSD is fine for general everyday use, but users working daily in video editing, animation and vfx need to frequently write and re-write data and, unfortunately, an SSD is limited in how many times it can be reliably re-written to. To be fair, SSD is much more reliable than it was even a few years ago but it's still more limited this way than a traditional HDD.

Definitely check with the technician though...they should be way more knowledgeable on the subject than I am, especially with the current state of the technology. And if you learn anything new, contradictory or just very interesting from them, please post it here. Thanks!
cartoonmick

Post by cartoonmick »

Thanks again for your thoughts on this.

Tomorrow, if the plans work out, I’ll be picking up the new machine, with 240GB SSD. and 1TB HDD. Along with an i5 2.9 GHz CPU and 8GB of RAM.

The Guru who owns the business has been in the game for about 20 years and seems willing to guide me in any areas of setting things up and putting stuff on the appropriate drive.

Cheers
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Good luck with the new machine!
cartoonmick

Post by cartoonmick »

Thanks, I’m sure there’ll be initial challenges to test me ( I don’t know enough about the important parts of computers ).
One problem I have is getting in contact with Smith Micro to confirm how to install Moho on the new machine under my existing licence, but my emails aren’t getting through to them.
Not getting any response from support@smithmicro.desk-mail.com
Maybe they’re on holidays🙂
Cheers