masking not showing in edit view.

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rylleman

masking not showing in edit view.

Post by rylleman »

In a couple of scenes masked parts are not shown as masked in editing but if rendered the parts are masked as they should be.
I tried to import masks from a scene where it works as it should, but imported in the new scene the masking effect are seemingly lost, until render. (The setup is exactly the same between the scenes).
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Now I've created an example-file, here's a zip, it's bare minimum but still quite large, about 9megs.
The mask doesn't seem to affect the box to the left, but if you render a frame you see that the box are masked.
If I hide the doll in the layers window the mask is suddenly showing as it should, which is very strange since the doll-group shouldn't have anything at all to do with the mask.

I have this in other scenes as well where it is more crucial to have the mask showing correctly but this was the easiest scene to make an example of.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

I have reported s similar discreancy between what the edit view show a masks and how its rendered. I found a way to not mask a sub-layer but when rendered, the mask still applies.

It seems as though the master Group "mask this layer" over -rides the sub-layer "Don't mask layer" instructions. This is deeply frustrating ... there are many times when the mask is required to matte a charatcer shadow (to a background) yet not to apply to the main character. I have one of the bouncing ball exercises which simply cannot be masked with the current 5.3 version.

Hopefully, 5.4 or whatever number the next version is, will address the problems.

At the very least, having the "Don't mask this layer" working and having WYSIWYG on the edit window will solve 95% of the day to day masking headaches.

BTW, all the mouths and eye blinks I make are masked groups - it's the fastest way I've found to do it.

Rhoel