Made with what?

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

godlike27

Made with what?

Post by godlike27 »

I want to know with what software are made these cartoons:
1. Futurama (and Simpsons)
2. Oggy & Cockroaches
3. Inspector Gadget's last case
4. samurai jack

I'd like to know what software is used to make any other cartoons as well...
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

YEAH! I have not idea... and neither of why it's sometimes SO difficult know which software is used for such a things?? Well, maybe much of them are made with independent specific softwares, but I don't know... I always have wanted to know, in example, what software is used to do the "Mr. Bean" squishy animation episodes... any clue? :roll:
Last edited by Rai López on Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
godlike27

Post by godlike27 »

I found that mr been is made with http://www.firkafilm.com/ Firka software my first animation software ever...
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

THANKS! :D A one more resolved doubt :), and by the way... what a surprise! This is not precisely the kind of software that I hoped find behind such a serie :?, what a things...
stephklein

Post by stephklein »

I know the Simpsons still uses hand-drawn keyframes, but I don't know if they use software for in-betweening. I DO know they use software for colouring, since this prevents them from having to ship all of their cells to Korea.
-Steph Klein
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

stephklein wrote:I know the Simpsons still uses hand-drawn keyframes, but I don't know if they use software for in-betweening. I DO know they use software for colouring, since this prevents them from having to ship all of their cells to Korea.
No digital inbetweening, it's all drawn animation. I don't think there are anyone using digital inbetweening for drawn anmation, partly because there are no software that can do this even remotely good.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

rylleman wrote:No digital inbetweening, it's all drawn animation. I don't think there are anyone using digital inbetweening for drawn anmation, partly because there are no software that can do this even remotely good.
Then there is a market opportunity for software developers, I suppose.

I hope that Steve Jobs position in the board of directors in Disney will lead us to a new area of handdrawn animation, because while 3D is a good medium for telling stories nowadays, there is still a good market for quality 2D animation. And because no computer input device is (and will probably be) as good as the trusty pencil, I expect a revival of handdrawn animation at some time in the future.

I know that are a lot of ifs, but stranger things have happened and Steve Jobs has proven he is flexible and entrepreneurial enough (as CEO of Apple and Pixar) to make great things happen.
Manu

Post by Manu »

Hate to pop your bubble guys, but all the series mentioned in this thread are hand-drawn. The only software used would be for line-testing (like Firka) or digital painting (Toon Boom, Animo...). And I'm pretty sure that at least in the first few seasons, the Simpsons was done on cell.

And like Rylleman said, I've never come across any software that can inbetween hand-drawn animation successfully.
stephklein

Post by stephklein »

Manu wrote:And I'm pretty sure that at least in the first few seasons, the Simpsons was done on cell.
Yeah, the first 7 or 8 seasons of Simpsons were still coloured and drawn on cells, but they eventually switched to digital colouring.
-Steph Klein
Manu

Post by Manu »

I just realised of course that a few of the mentioned series do have toon-rendered 3D in 'em. Futurama and Mr. Bean come to mind. But all the character-stuff was done hand-drawn, with the few exceptions of a 3D toon-rendered character in a long-shot.