Changing the 'origin' point for Stroke Exposure

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Changing the 'origin' point for Stroke Exposure

Post by Greenlaw »

I have a character whose arm needs to have the exposed 'underarm' line animated in one scene but, unfortunately, I need the Stroke Exposure to begin from a different point than where it is currently occurring. Is it possible to change the Stroke Exposure 'origin' point after a shape has been drawn or will I need to redraw this shape from scratch? I would prefer not to redraw it because this will break certain Smartbone actions that currently exist.

If not, I'd like to make a request for this feature.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info or tips. For now, I'll probably just use an animated mask but, in doing so, I'm going to lose the nice rounded cap on the line.

G.
Greenlaw

Re: Changing the 'origin' point for Stroke Exposure

Post by Greenlaw »

It would be cool if I could enter a negative value in the start or end field--that would certainly solve my current problem. Actually, I've wished I was able to enter negative values in a few other areas of ASP since I started using it. Hope we can have this in a future release.

G.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ah! I figured out how to do this. First I deleted an edge to one side of the origin and then I re-connected the two open points by drawing a new edge, only I need to be sure to close the shape at the point where I want the new origin to be (in other words, start the line at the original origin and finish it where I want to move the origin.)

After doing this, the Stroke Exposure now begins and ends at the new point. This solves my current situation perfectly.

I guess if I had needed the new origin to be further down the shape path, I would have to do this multiple times until I reached my desired start position. Considering that, it would be great if we had a tool or option to redefine the origin point with a single click.

G.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, wait...for setting a new origin anywhere along the path, I'm finding that the solution is much easier than described above. All you need to do is delete the edge next to whichever point you want to become the new origin for the Stroke Exposure tool. THEN you draw from the open point next to your desired origin and--voila!--you have your new origin. No need at all to 'walk' the origin point down the path or a special tool to redefine it, so please disregard that request. :D

Hope this info will be useful to other ASP users.

G.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I've never used stroke exposure for this - instead I use line width with an extra point next to each 'edge' point to control the tapering...
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, this wasn't for tapering a line, rather it was literally for growing and contracting an 'underarm' line that crosses over the character's chest as the character tumbled over an object. This method was much easier in this situation because it didn't require creating additional points or lines that needed to be transformed or 'hidden' when not needed. It's a subtle effect but I felt it was necessary for duplicating the look of my webcomic, and it was so easy to animate once I defined the new STroke Exposure origin.

Thanks for the tip though--I'll keep it in mind when I need that effect.

G.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Nice drawings! Look forward to seeing your animation :)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Thanks! I hope to have this project finished and posted on Thanksgiving.

And thank you for posting your tutorials and tips in these forums and elsewhere...the info has been very helpful. :)

G.