AS Pro 9 on Mac - odd audio in QuickTime Player?

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Not An Artist

AS Pro 9 on Mac - odd audio in QuickTime Player?

Post by Not An Artist »

I have a project I created in AS 8.

When I open it and export from AS 8, the audio comes out fine.

When I open it and export from AS 9, the audio can't be heard in QuickTime Player, but can be heard in the quick prevue (click once on file, press space).

I tried creating new projects in 9 using the included audio files. Same thing.

If I bring the "odd" movie into another application, even Pages, the audio works fine.

I'm on an iMac running OS 10.8.1.

Any ideas? I create lots of movies and want to be able to preview them in QTPlayer.
If only I could draw...
Ronbo

Re: AS Pro 9 on Mac - odd audio in QuickTime Player?

Post by Ronbo »

What version of Quicktime do you use with Mountain Lion? Quicktime 10?

I ask because I never use that version myself and I know a lot of people who work with video hate it because it can't do a lot of things that earlier versions could. Apple have apparently developed it with the casual home user/web-surfer in mind, and not people actually working with video.

I just did some experimenting using simple projects created in ASP8, which I then opened in ASP9. The exported QT movies played fine in each case with audible audio. After pondering why you might be having this problem a thought occurred to me. I use Quicktime 7 for everything, so I tried opening the movie files in Quicktime 10 and . . . the audio was not audible!

Quicktime 7 is still available. I'm on OSX 10.7.4 and I use QT7. You can download Quicktime 7.7 here: http://support.apple.com/downloads/#quicktime

Hopefully it will run okay on OSX 10.8. Once installed, you can choose at any time to use it or the version that came with Mountain Lion.

I hope you find this useful.
Not An Artist

Post by Not An Artist »

Thanks, again, Ronbo!

Installed QT 7 and it plays back with audio. Used to have it installed on my MacPro, but when I "upgraded" to the iMac I just went with the new (est and best, right?). This problem might have cropped up a while ago, but things kept me away from AS for a while so I hadn't noticed.

The Mountain Lion version is QT 10.2 now. This kind of forward yet backward progress can be aggravating!
If only I could draw...
jakpaybak

Post by jakpaybak »

Hey, first time poster(well, its been so long it feels like the first time again) here. I decided to check out whats been going on with Anime Studio and after watching some of the great additions, I decided to giver another try.

Great stuff so far. I really like where they are going, but this is the bug section and so i'll cut to the chase.

I also have this audio export bug. The funny thing is that it will play with the spacebar preview and it will also play if i open it in Safari. If I open in quicktime(10.2) there is no sound, and if I upload the video to youtube there is again no sound, so it doesn't just seem to be the quicktime player that has a problem with the audio(quicktime is in some kind of horrible shape these days admittedly). I've tried exporting in h.246 and mp4. its the same either way.

As ive just now found out, If I do open it with Safari where I can hear the sound, I can export it again as a quicktime movie and low and behold, this file has its audio restored and is playable in quicktime 10.2.

This machine came with 10.8 pre-installed and so it will not let you downgrade to a lower quicktime version. It suggests you use the Software Upgrade scheme to do so.

So yeah, there is a horrible work around solution until apple or the kind folks here choose to fix whatever is causing the issue.

A thank you to whoever gets around to that first.
jakpaybak

Post by jakpaybak »

I just noticed the safari quicktime plug in says something like "Version 7.7.1" so, maybe it is using an earlier version of quicktime if thats possible.
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

That's great if you've found a workaround to get audio playback in QT10. You can, however, still load QT7 onto your computer if you wanted to . . . just use the download link in my previous post and install it. Not An Artist installed it on his iMac running OSX 10.8.1. You will not be "downgrading" QT, but simply installing a second version of it and can run both QT7 and QT10 on the same computer. I have both on my iMac (OSX 10.7.5) and always use QT7 but can use QT10 whenever I want to.

As I alluded to in my previous post, the two QT versions vary in their editing and export options, so it's worth considering especially since it's free. :wink:
jakpaybak

Post by jakpaybak »

I am running 10.8.2 so I don't know if its a different situation than Not an Artist or what.
Not An Artist

Post by Not An Artist »

Hello jakpaybak,

Interesting note about YouTube; I never use it (except to watch vis posted by some of the amazing users here at lostMarble).

As Ronbo said, I got QT7 installed on my machine running 10.8 You may want to look here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3678

It has a link to here for the download:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL923

It's not a downgrade; it installs QT 7 as a separate application. So my main Qt player is still intact (the one that I can't hear anything in).

I have Final Cut Pro X installed and so the QT7 installed as the pro version (paid) (at least I think that's what happened!) I had my old license ready to enter but didn't need to.
If only I could draw...
jakpaybak

Post by jakpaybak »

The quicktime 7 player does seem to work, except when the file is uploaded to youtube the sound is missing again. Youtube also seems to have a problem with this format. I am left with out the ability to save in quicktime player. It requires the pro version of quicktime 7.

When I exported the same animation from another mac with AS Pro 9 running OS 10.6.8 the audio came out fine and it uploaded fine. I'll need to check to see what version of quicktime is installed on there.
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

Re: YouTube, It sounds like you've probably already reviewed their encoding suggestions, correct?
http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/s ... e=guide.cs

Just out of curiosity I'm wondering if you've tried a workaround of saving a QT movie out of ASP9 using the lossless animation codec, importing into iMovie, and "sharing" to YouTube letting iMovie do the appropriate encoding? You could also save that to your desktop and open up the settings window to see which audio codec was used and compare that to your previous version with the "missing" audio. It would seem to be a matter of finding the appropriate audio codec for YouTube viewing.
Thrashador

Post by Thrashador »

Anyone found a more satisfactory solution to this?

When the sound DOES work, it's not in sync with the lips by the end of a 20 second clip. The only way I found to make it work was to export an image sequence and sync it back up in the editing program (I kept the audio, so I just re-synced the animation with the sound). Playing the Quicktime file that resulted from THAT worked fine in both Quicktime 7 and Quicktime 10.

So... there's that.

Thrashador
Chad Jones

Post by Chad Jones »

I am having the same issues - no audio in QuickTIme, and the audio is way out of sync on longer clips. Also, despite my frame rate being set at 24fps in project settings, my exported animations are at 25fps. Extremely annoying. I submitted a support ticket and the issue was not resolved but forwarded to engineers, hopefully there will be a fix soon.
jakpaybak

Post by jakpaybak »

Yeah, I was about to get a few more copies of AS9 for the team but I really don't know if its going to work.

I really hate the concept of rendering out as an image sequence then bringing them into another program to lay the audio track just to do a simple test. I did also come up against the sound becoming out of sync but I figured it was something to do with the horrible quality of the .wav I was testing.

What is the likelihood of a patch addressing this thing in a somewhat timely manner?(timely being in the next month or so)

I just finished animating show where we used After Effects with this ik script combined with puppet pins and I really would like to get back to AS because the animation tools are just so much better and I know it can get the job done.

I didn't submit a support ticket however, I suppose I should get on that.
gwbond

Post by gwbond »

Just an update to the problem related to incorrect framerate when exporting to Quicktime animation codec. I filed a bug report and Smith Micro support (promptly) replied and told me to upgrade to AS version 9.1. This appears to have fixed the problem for me.
jakpaybak

Post by jakpaybak »

Quicktime audio works for me in version 9.1

Great job programmer-type-guys. Thanks. Time to invest in a few more licenses now I suppose.