Storyboard Tools

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jaakay

Storyboard Tools

Post by jaakay »

Hi All,

Does anyone here use Storyboard Tools and knows how to install and launch the program?
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I have tried storyboard tools and hate them. Large construction thin cardboard with post-it notes work fine.

Dale
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

dueyftw wrote:I have tried storyboard tools and hate them. Large construction thin cardboard with post-it notes work fine.

Dale
dueyftw,

Could you describe this a little more?

udd
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Huh? Get some 14inch by 16inch construction paper, white. Tack it on a wall or you can take a book binder if room and you need portability. Draw on the post-it note each shot. Under the picture you might need another post-it note with dialog and written notes and tack it to the art work. Move them as you need. Don't number anything until your almost done.

Don't kill your self making cool art work on a storyboard, if you can't fit it on a post-it note, your storyboard art might be over kill.

Dale
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

dueyftw,

Thanks for the info and advice. Very good idea!

uddhava
JaMike

Re: Storyboard Tools

Post by JaMike »

jaakay wrote:Hi All,

Does anyone here use Storyboard Tools and knows how to install and launch the program?
Is "Storyboard Tools" a program? Or are you just talking about storyboard programs in general? Do you have a link to it?
jaakay

Post by jaakay »

Storyboard Tools is an actual piece of software.

You can download it here:

http://www.freefilmsoftware.co.uk/

It would not install on my main computer, but I tried installing it on my second laptop and it installed with no problem. They are both Win 32bit and running Windows XP Professional.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

jaakay wrote:Storyboard Tools is an actual piece of software.
I checked out the website - if the software is as slick as the website, I think I'll pass. :shock:
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

I tend to use MS PowerPoint for storyboarding "longer" projects. The script goes either in the slide or in the notes. I use clipart &/or (rough / line drawn) bespoke images if necessary.

You can set the thing to run automatically through the slides with whatever timing you want - talkthrough audio etc can be included - plus it has very very basic animation for objects (e.g. moves) and for zoom and pan if that becomes important - so it gives a bit of a feel for what the project might look like on screen. I sometimes dump the individual slides out as images and then load them into a video editor (I use Premiere) to try out simulated camera movements, scene transitions, etc ..

but good old pencil and paper works fine for the shorter projects.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

This is an old program that hasn't been updated in awhile. I gave it a few minutes and couldn't find the draw from scratch. Imported some bitmap (only file type) and found the drawing tools very limited. I did like the drag and drop but not much more. Would I buy the program? Ten years ago, yea now: No, there other free open-source programs that do the same thing.

Personally the post it notes has been the best tool I have used after trying several different software for story boarding. The computer is not the best tool for everything.

Dale
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I'm doing a new film this week. The first storyboard was done on paper, right beneath my bed, on one sheet with pencil. The second version I did in TVPaint, some 40 fast drawings roughly timed. That's all - no dialogue, no writing. Tomorrow I start animation.

If I worked with a team, or needed to present the storyboard to a producer, I'd use some software to pimp it up. But as long as I do it all by myself I don't need any fancy software - nothing is faster than pencil on paper.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

^ +1

Hope it`s not off topic, there is one small program which I used before and that is Celtx (dot com). There is a free version, but for a serious team work I would recommend full edition. It offers web storage/correspondence with the coworkers, schematic planing of scene/shooting set, pretty nice prepared form for characters, script and off course storyboard. Program it self does not have tools for drawing, but all other aspects are quite handy. Maybe someone could find this useful.
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

That seem to be the biggest advantage of having a Storyboard pro software in being able to sell a project, skipping the animatic pre-visualization. Make changes easy. Communicate more effective to the team. You don't need to sell yourself the idea, but a pro software kick ass!

Alternative is to scan the drawing in as switch layer and then animate the changes inside Anime pro and you have yourself a storyboard pro.
jaakay

Post by jaakay »

Hi All,

Thank you for all the comments. After reading all the posts and doing my own research, it is clear that most people working on their own don't bother with storyboarding software or prefer to use paper and pencil.

I have decided to use the Lost Doodle Tool to make very rough drawings from within ASP. I thought I could use the notes layer for any scripting for each scene/shot and at least I can workout how long each scene/shot should be when matched up with relevant audio tracks.

Well these are my thoughts in theory. I'll let you know how I get on. :)
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

I'm a hobbyist but I like a pencil and sketch pad.
Cheers, Larry