FYI on the 10.1.3, 11.2 and 12.5 versions

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

eok

FYI on the 10.1.3, 11.2 and 12.5 versions

Post by eok »

I recently discovered the big changes at SM (ie: no longer supporting ASP/Moho versions < 13). Also noted the website change, as already discussed in this forum.

This in particular caught my eye in https://my.smithmicro.com/#collapse37 :
All versions of Anime Studio as well as version 12 of Moho have been discontinued and support is limited. Consider moving to Moho 13 to get all the latest features by going to:

https://www.mohoanimation.com

NOTE: All Moho 12 and Anime Studio users should download and install the final available version listed below (active license required):
"Final" versions of 10.1.3, 11.2 and 12.5 are listed.

What's important to understand is that these versions are indeed slightly different than the versions I got upon original purchase. For example, the 12.5 version available for download is slightly different than the 12.5 version I purchased last year. What's different? Well, the Software Manager option is missing from the Help drop-down menu. So, I'm assuming this means these versions do not require you to have a Smith Micro account to manage licenses.

Whatever the case, I downloaded these "final" versions. Then I deactivated the license for the installed version and uninstalled it, then I installed the Final version and input my license key(s).

I'm hoping this means I don't have to worry about the fallout from Smith Micro disappearing along with their license servers.
---
eok
barrysampson

Re: FYI on the 10.1.3, 11.2 and 12.5 versions

Post by barrysampson »

That is interesting. The possibility that the activation server may disappear at some point is something I'd wondered about. If this update in the final version means that isn't a concern I'm more likely to carry on using Moho.

This could be Smith Micro getting ready to shutter Moho, but it could just as easily be them preparing for a sale. Fingers crossed it's the latter.
Barry

Using Moho 12.5/13.5 on Windows 10 (3.0Ghz i9, RTX 2070ti, 64gb) and MacOS Big Sur (2.3Ghz i9, Radeon Pro 5500M, 64gb)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Thanks for the heads up.
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

I wonder if this would explain why I accidentally exceeded the number of installations of v13. After heading over to the License Manager, it looks like I'm not able to add my Moho 13 license in at all.

On a side note, does anyone know how much a piece of software like Moho would likely sell for? Over 7 figures USD?
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

alanthebox wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:45 pm I wonder if this would explain why I accidentally exceeded the number of installations of v13. After heading over to the License Manager, it looks like I'm not able to add my Moho 13 license in at all.
On a side note, does anyone know how much a piece of software like Moho would likely sell for? Over 7 figures USD?
I could not re-activate a v13 licence through the automated online server about a month ago, and had to do the manual re-activate.

On the side note: The last time the buyout price was discussed - I think the ballpark figure was $5 million. But that was a good few years ago...
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam