Sort the layer

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Gaston

Sort the layer

Post by Gaston »

Hi,

is it the best way to sort the layer of the complete character on the mainline?

In my case:
I've started to modify my character with actions. For example the body turn. In this action I've sorted the arms.
After this I've created an other action for the hips for example with layer sorting too.
And the I wanted to create another action with sort the layer, but I can't sort the layers now. They seem to be fixed or under control of the other actions.
For me it seams the right way to create actions with the sorting inside, but now I've lost the Overview.

So, is it better to make one sorting layer at the mainline? Or is there better way?
Perhaps with this script: https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewto ... sort+layer
slowtiger

Re: Sort the layer

Post by slowtiger »

Your problem is not layer sorting, your problem is overlapping actions and no reset.

Consider what you really need. Is is a perfectly rigged character with actions and turns for every occasion? Then you need to debug and redo your actions until no conflict occurs. Depending on your rig this may turn out to be impossible.

Or do you just want to get done with a certain scene? Then delete everything you don't need, and only add what you need.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Sometimes you can group parts of the body into separate sorting groups, especially since nested bone control was added, but even this won't cover every possible combination.
If that's not good enough, you may need to do your layer sorting in the main timeline. Or maybe even mix grouped action layer sorting with visibility swapping duplicate layers.
Gaston

Post by Gaston »

Thanks for your tips.
@ slowtiger: I agree with you. I wanted a perfect RIG so that I don't get any surprises later when animating. That's my workflow. And when you looking at the tutorials or RIG Reels they are all with tips for the layer sorting. And so I constructed my character and tried to included all the tips. Now my character is a little confusing for me, in some actions. :(
Probably the better way is to make the character RIG not too complicated and then work better with some tricks. The RIG examples on youtube always look so elegant.