image based character/switch layers/rigging

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Kasia

image based character/switch layers/rigging

Post by Kasia »

I have a character made of only image layers , and when I rig it with bones using flexi-binding everything works very well.

Now, I want to have the same character, still made up of only image layers but within these image layers I need to have switch folders with switch layers consisting of image layers and I need these switch layers / folders to be able to move using bone rigging just like for the character that is only made up of image layers.

Unfortunately, what repeatedly happens is that bones - even though their strength is minimal - are dragging many other layers than the ones they are bound to.

I have started again many times, but the same thing keeps happening. Does anyone know what is causing this, i.e. what I am missing?

Thanks, Kasia
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: image based character/switch layers/rigging

Post by Víctor Paredes »

you need to select the image layer, then select the bones you want to move that specific image and go to the menu Bones -> Use selected bones for Flexi-binding.
That will tell the software that single image will only be affected by the strength of the specific bone/bones you want.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Kasia

Post by Kasia »

Thanks for your reply Victor, but I had been doing exactly what you said. It's not working. It's as if I can easily bind one image layer but when it comes to a switch layer folder with image layers inside it it (flexi-binding) stops working.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

It should work, but I think there are two issues that could be happening:

- The image layers and/or the switch layer are already bound to a bone
- The switch layer has it's own bones

Try selecting the image layers and the switch and going to the menu Bone -> Reset all Bone Rigging. That will remove any previously made rigging (and solve the first issue)
Select the the switch layer and delete any bone that could be there. If the Select bone tool is available, then there is one or more bones. So, click on the Select bone tool, press Ctrl+A to select all the bones and then Del to remove them.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Kasia

Post by Kasia »

I figured it out! It turns out that I have to bind all layers (separately one by one) inside the switch layer folder - including the folder itself - to the bone! Thanks, Victor :D