Is it Possible to copy Character Wizzard rig and actions?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

Explanation
1 create my own actor
2 cut into pieces arms legs etc.
3.Import into Anime Studio Pro Ver.11.2.1 as pngs inside a PSD file.
4. IF POSSIBLE?? copy rig from with the animation from the Character Wizzad.
5. Be able to assign the actions to the new Actor.
Can it be done? If so a brief or not so brief explanation would surely be of great help.
This would be Magical but then it is a Character Wizzard. eh?
My Thanks to all who read and or respond.
Bob
I use a MacBook Pro, and Anime Studio Pro 11.2
http://uncle808s.blogspot.com
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Is it Possible to copy Character Wizzard rig and actions?

Post by Víctor Paredes »

You can copy and paste keyframes between characters (but I'm not sure if it's possible in version 11), so if the characters have the same bone structure (and the bones have the same names), then you can simply copy and paste the keyframes of the actions.

Here's another tip I'd like to make a video tutorial later. 'Paste relative' is a very powerful tool to recycle animation between characters with different proportions, but it won't work properly unless you do this:

- Select all the keyframes of the character that is moving, including the keys in frame zero.
- Select the new character, go to frame one and then 'Paste relative'.
- Delete all the keys of frame 1 and move all the rest of the animation one frame to the left (so the animation will start in frame one instead of frame two)
- Now your character will move just like the original, but following its own proportions and without weird things happening.

Now, this is hard to explain, but I will try it.
Paste relative principle is very simple. Let's suppose you have a bone with three keys for rotation: 0 degrees, 50 degrees and 100 degrees.
Then, you want to use that animation in another bone, but that bone instead of being in 0 degrees at the beginning, it's rotated at 10 degrees.
So, when you copy these three keys (0, 50 and 100 degrees) and paste them over the new bone, the software will compare the first pose of the keys copied (0 degrees) with the angle of the new bone (10 degrees) and will add that angle difference to the entire animation you are pasting. So, now the animation, instead of being 0, 50 and 100; it will be 10, 60, 110 degrees.
That is all the magic there.

Now, why to include the frame zero keys when copying?
This works because when you 'Paste relative', Moho uses the current position/angle/scale of the bone as neutral and then adds the animation, based on the difference between the neutral pose and the new keys you are pasting.
When you paste the animation including frame zero, the software can compare the new character's neutral pose with the original character's neutral pose. And just then adds the rest of the animation.
So by adding frame zero to the copy/paste process, you are allowing the software to compare neutral pose with neutral pose. If you don't do that, then the first key of the animation will be considered as 'neutral', but that is not true! (and that's why you will have issues with this method).

Ok, that was much harder to explain than it looks. I hope it's clear enough (and I hope it can be helpful for what you are looking for). I'll try to record a video about this soon.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel