make an object or layer suddenly appear

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

fukuro

make an object or layer suddenly appear

Post by fukuro »

How to make an object or layer appear at a certain keyframe? I want the object/layer to be invisible until a certain keyframe, then have the object/layer appear and transform the object in subsequent frames. (I couldn't find this in either user or tutorial manual.)
fukuro

Re: make an object or layer suddenly appear

Post by fukuro »

The answer appears to be: use the sequencer (p. 344 of the Moho 13 user manual).
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Much simpler: on frame 1, set the layer to invisible (right-click on layer tab). Set to visible in frame where needed.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
specialoh

Post by specialoh »

slowtiger wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:08 am Much simpler: on frame 1, set the layer to invisible (right-click on layer tab). Set to visible in frame where needed.
this is what I do! Very quick/easy process
Jarvangry

Post by Jarvangry »

"Much simpler: on frame 1, set the layer to invisible (right-click on layer tab). Set to visible in frame where needed."

Layer tab - which is what ? That leaves me even more frustrated because the thing can obviously be done ,but I click on the dot at frame 0: Dialog box pops up ,there is no option to set to invisible. I am using
Moho 14.1. In the layers dialog box there is an option to set the layer to specific opacity, but no frame designation option. so ,it is all extremely frustrating and keyboard thumpingly and mouse hurlingly infuriating. Thank you.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I seriously recommend to take your time and get a bit more familiar with Moho until you've got the basics covered. Work the tutorials.

In the timeline, place the frame indicator on the frame where you want stuff to happen. Layer palette shows all layers. Click on the little triangle right of layer name gives you the quick settings, like visible/invisible. Double-click opens that layer's complete settings. This contains the same checkbox, but also the opacity setting for more advanced effects. If you want to animate these over time, check "allow animated layer effects" before making any changes. Anything you change in these settings will create a key in the frame your indicator in the timeline is in.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Just a little more info:

What you want to keyframe is Visibility. This toggles the layer on and off.

It's not necessary to enable Animated Effects. Visibility is one of the few effects that are keyframeable without this option.

Once you have a Visibility keyframe on the timeline (above frame 0), you can toggle the layer's Visibility off and on by double-clicking anywhere in the Visibility channel. This is the fastest way to work if you need to enable/disable a lot.

But if you have to do this frequently while using the same rig across many scenes, you might want to make it part of a Smart Bone Action.