changing root bone

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

changing root bone

Post by DK »

Hi.
Does anyone know how to delete a root bone without deleting the entire bone structure? I have made a boneset and now realise that the root bone I started with is not needed. I've tried reparenting it but it won't budge.

Thanks
D.K
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

You should be able to reparent the CHILD bones of the root bone and then delete it.

For instance I constantly "unparent" bones during rigging so I can move these parent bones without moving the children.

If you select the parent tool you should see the arrows from all the bones that are children of the root bone. Select those bones (on the mac you can shift+option select multiple bones with the reparent bone tool. I don't the key modifier for Windows)

With those children bones selected and the reparent tool chosen just click somewhere on the screen. Now use the bone selection tool to select the bone you don't want and delete it.

If you already have some animation done with these children bones it MIGHT and I stress MIGH cause some troubles. Sometimes bones when uparented get "odd" angles. The rotation and translation of child bones is relative to the parent. this all depends on how complex the hierarchy of bones is.

Constraints also may behave oddly if you use them. If a child bone rotated 90 degrees with a parent bone rotated 90 degrees is unparented the new rotation is 180 degrees.

-vern
DK

Post by DK »

Excellent! Thank you Vern :)

D.K