Example of Illustrator Color Issue

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rabidgremlin

Example of Illustrator Color Issue

Post by rabidgremlin »

Hi ya

As mentioned in a previous post I'm having issues importing an .ai file, the colors appear to get mangled.

Example file can be found here: http://www.rabidgremlin.com/tmp/stars.zip

Hope that helps debugging the problem...
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

This is a known issue. If you look at some really old threads in this forum this issue has been discussed to death. I mean really really jump up and down discussed. Ad nauseum. I guess with a new batch of users it is time to discuss it again.

Your best bet is just to use an image of the original AI file as a custom palette and select colors from that for the shapes or styles. This is what I did.

When I use to import AI I never really used the colors from the import, I defined colors in the AS document. Now I don't even import them I draw only in AS.

I will say this, I only had subtle shifts in the color when importing, nothing that really bothered me. At most I would shift some blues that got a little purple and tweak other things. Since the AI file was never going to be used again it made more sense to define the palette in the final application.

Make absolutely positively certain you are only using RGB colors, and not CMYK. Also try using EPS import. I don't know if it is any better but that is what I used and it might have a better result.

-vern
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I checked your files!!!!

No WONDER it didn't import correctly. You used spot colors for the AI fills. AS doesn't support anything but RGB or HTML color definitions.

Change the document format to RGB, change the colors to RGB then try it.

-vern