"Best" video editing/dvd authoring software for an

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

The400th wrote:Rhoel, that New Zealand guy has largely been discredited now.

As for the Vista vs EU fair trade commission, you're either misinformed
I have not heard anything new on the NZ guy but my comment was based on a BBC World Service interview with the EU commissioners, after Microsoft lost its case on XP earlier this year. The commissioners stated they are still investigating Vista but they indicated their initial findings did not seem that MS had addressed any of the fundamental anti-consumer/competitive issues which had triggered the largest EU fine in history.

The problem with HD, Vista and EU is a complex legal one, one which Microsoft has not properly addressed (I am being coy, since I do not wish to be sued for libel if I said they have clearly placed two fingers up to the EU law). In America, MS can do what the hell they like. But in Europe, there are very strong pro-consumer laws, based on reasonableness and fair use - you buy music, you have the legal right to play it on whatever digital playback you want, be it computer speaker headphones or a tin can and a taught string: Apple have had to bite the bullet on reasonable use. They have also been forced to sell its music at one pan-European price as consumners in the UK have the legal right to but music from a French retailer online at the same price. Apple previously had different price strategies for each country - they were/are facing heavy fines for getting it wrong.

With HD playback, the same law applies - I have the legal right in Europe to play HD on any damn system I care to build without MS saying I must have a MS approved card. Any anti-pirating can be done within the Blue-ray- HD-DVD player quite legally, but one the signal has left the box, MS does not have the right to feck up the signal - that is illegal. MS does not have the right to dictate I have to throw away a $5000 HD card: That is anti-competitive and anti-consumer choice. Think of Detroit building a car that only runs on Shell gasoline. You can imagine the outrage if you put BP sourced gas into your new car and the electronic ignition system cuts out saying "the fuel you bought is not type approved". That is exactly what MS are doing, electronically turning off the system when it thinks your video card is not type approved.

Of the two companies I am working with at the moment, both have implemented a Vista ban. Further, I haven't found any broadcast guys running around saying how great the o/s is. I have seen heaps of technicians running around yelling how bad it is. I spoke yesterday to a broadcast mate I've know for near 30 year (he's working network TV in the UK) - his company have just trashed their entire PC based Edit system/s and moved to MACs and FCP - they are delighted with the results and faster work-flow it MAC permits.

Its not a flame war, just reality in the broadcast world: Vista seems to be going the way of Windows ME.

If you can think of one damn good reason in favour of using Vista for film, I'd love to hear it. To date, all I have heard is how shyte it it, how xyz programs and hardware will not work with it.

Rhoel
toonertime

HASTA la vista

Post by toonertime »

I spent an hour last night reading horror stories
about Vista on blogs after I googled
"vista sucks" and purused the results

It is a scary operating system from the
sounds of it, and I will never use it.
Rhoel

Re: HASTA la vista

Post by Rhoel »

toonertime wrote:after I googled
You might also want to have a chuckle over http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=vista

Typical comment

Visualize Windows XP, a perfectly fine if occasionally clunky OS. Now make it eat three times as much system resources, have stupidly high system requirements, and because that's not shitty enough throw in a Big Brother DRM scheme that's guaranteed to fuck over anyone who isnt a hardware geek. And verily, you have experienced the binary turd better known as Windows Vista.

It costs $300 and doesn't really offer anything that XP doesnt. Is it any wonder people arent jumping on the Vista bandwagon?
and
"Hasta la Vista Baby" (Cardboard Hammer, HardOCP, 7-22-2005)

The comment for linux made me laugh out loud - not original but still very funny.

If Operating Systems Ran The Airlines...

UNIX Airways

Everyone brings one piece of the plane along when they come to the airport. They all go out on the runway and put the plane together piece by piece, arguing non-stop about what kind of plane they are supposed to be building.

Air DOS

Everybody pushes the airplane until it glides, then they jump on and let the plane coast until it hits the ground again. Then they push again, jump on again, and so on...

Mac Airlines

All the stewards, captains, baggage handlers, and ticket agents look and act exactly the same. Every time you ask questions about details, you are gently but firmly told that you don't need to know, don't want to know, and everything will be done for you without your ever having to know, so just shut up.

Windows Air

The terminal is pretty and colourful, with friendly stewards, easy baggage check and boarding, and a smooth take-off. After about 10 minutes in the air, the plane explodes with no warning whatsoever.

Windows NT Air

Just like Windows Air, but costs more, uses much bigger planes, and takes out all the other aircraft within a 40-mile radius when it explodes.

Windows XP Air

You turn up at the airport,which is under contract to only allow XP Air planes. All the aircraft are identical, brightly coloured and three times as big as they need to be. The signs are huge and all point the same way. Whichever way you go, someone pops up dressed in a cloak and pointed hat insisting you follow him. Your luggage and clothes are taken off you and replaced with an XP Air suit and suitcase identical to everyone around you as this is included in the exorbitant ticket cost. The aircraft will not take off until you have signed a contract. The inflight entertainment promised turns out to be the same Mickey Mouse cartoon repeated over and over again. You have to phone your travel agent before you can have a meal or drink. You are searched regularly throughout the flight. If you go to the toilet twice or more you get charged for a new ticket. No matter what destination you booked you will always end up crash landing at Whistler in Canada.

Linux Air

Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself.

When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"

Sorry, this is the best analogy on the subject of linux, has been around for a long time, and is anonymous.
fun over, lets get back to making animation.

Rhoel
kirksmith

Post by kirksmith »

Hi

Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I think probably one of the greatest 'unsung' hero's of video editing software is Ulead Media Studio Pro.

Not many people know about this software but I promise you it's absolutely exceptional and compatible with almost all applications.

I have and use a wide selection of editing suites including video studio 10 and 11, adobe premier pro and also after effects (great for chroma).

Adobe premier is king but has a very steep learning curve I feel.

For your sound editing and production then I really do recommend Adobe Audition 2 (formerly Cool Edit).

It's fabulous and works a treat for all your post work. I only use audition for my audio editing but you can also include video in there aswell.

Depending on your budget though, Media Studio Pro may be a good option and currently retails at around $100 or so. That's one hell of a difference to the hundreds of dollars for premier pro.

Kirk
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

kirksmith wrote:I really do recommend Adobe Audition 2 (formerly Cool Edit).
seconded.

I use it for all dialogue preparation and some SFX tracklaying. Never had a problem with it - very intuitive and usable.

Rhoel
The400th

Re: HASTA la vista

Post by The400th »

toonertime wrote:I spent an hour last night reading horror stories
about Vista on blogs after I googled
LOL!

That sums it up perfectly! :D