Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Another example with more shading:

My most recent character:

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

That's flash... and this is synfig... And what? The result is not in the tool is in the artist. I could have the most incredible set of sculpting tools that I cannot make a rock of marble to be other thing that a rock of marble. But an artist can make a impressive sculpt just with an stick and a knife...
(Visit this link to see the credits of this animation)
-G
http://www.synfig.com//gallery/bigeye.png
http://www.bridgetone.com/voria/movies/eye.mov
superanimatrix

Post by superanimatrix »

heyvern wrote:
See how this picutre below has that warm glow to it? The lines are perfect, clothes, everything looks great just like GreyKids. This is what I want to be able to achive in AS. This pic is from Flash:
Uh... hmm...

You can get that exact look in AS. Maybe the gradients would be tricky but not impossible.

"vibrant colors" are just... picking the right colors. The same colors available in Flash are available in AS. Any color you use in Flash can be used in AS... there are no color limitations.

The clean variable stroke widths can also be achieved in AS.

This is why I have been confused by your questions and search for that "Flash look"... it isn't a software specific "look" at all it is a stylistic choice that can be achieved in any application.

This was done entirely in AS:
(Please note! I'm not calling you a screw ball! I did this ages ago! ;) )

I did this purely as an illustration for a poster and I drew the characters from scratch in AS using scanned in rough pencil sketches as reference:

AS is capable of more than you realize. As you get more skilled with the tools you will find that many things are achievable. It does take some time and effort to learn the drawing tools. They aren't the same as Flash.

-vern
Great work! I understand what your saying now. I was afraid at 1st I had wasted $200 :x but I'm glad to know I can do this in AS. Your drawings look alot better than others I have seen in AS. How long did it take you to learn the tools in AS and do you think I should invest in combustion at all?
superanimatrix

Post by superanimatrix »

heyvern wrote:Another example with more shading:

My most recent character:

-vern
WOW! That is fantastic. You did all of that just in AS? Also the shading?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I use fill effects like, shaded, halo, soft edge etc etc.

You said previously how quickly you learned to draw using Flash? That is the same thing that happened to me only instead it was using AS or Moho as it was called at the time.

I learned it very quickly but that was just me. Everyone has a different preference and ability to learn software.

I had already learned and used programs like Flash and Adobe illustrator for many years. This was just another tool for me to apply what I already knew.

Learn the tools, and if you have the talent you can create whatever you want.

As for Combustion... I'm sure it is very cool and wonderful. I never used it and don't really know what I'm missing. Hard to say if you should get it. I understand that it is quite expensive... that would be a problem for me at the moment. ;)

-vern
superanimatrix

Post by superanimatrix »

heyvern wrote:I use fill effects like, shaded, halo, soft edge etc etc.

You said previously how quickly you learned to draw using Flash? That is the same thing that happened to me only instead it was using AS or Moho as it was called at the time.

I learned it very quickly but that was just me. Everyone has a different preference and ability to learn software.

I had already learned and used programs like Flash and Adobe illustrator for many years. This was just another tool for me to apply what I already knew.

Learn the tools, and if you have the talent you can create whatever you want.

As for Combustion... I'm sure it is very cool and wonderful. I never used it and don't really know what I'm missing. Hard to say if you should get it. I understand that it is quite expensive... that would be a problem for me at the moment. ;)

-vern
Yeah your right everybody learns at thier own rate. I hope I learn it fast because I have alot of clints to do work for and realy dont have weeks and months to get use to it. Yeah I might get the combution just to see what I can do with it. Yeah it is pretty expensive but if it can make my animations even better what the heck!

When you said: I use fill effects like, shaded, halo, soft edge etc etc Does that come with ASP? or did you have to buy a whole different program?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

When you said: I use fill effects like, shaded, halo, soft edge etc etc Does that come with ASP? or did you have to buy a whole different program?
No, those are just standard fill and shape effects that are built into AS.

When you select a fill shape there are two drop down menus "Effect 1" and "Effect 2". Experiment with those. Keep in mind they do not show up unless you render or export the animation. They do not display in the preview editing mode.

The stroke shape only has the option for one effect but you can combine multiple saved styles to create combinations of many different effects and styles.

Don't judge AS too harshly until you have really given it a try.

-vern
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

can i post mine?
superanimatrix

Post by superanimatrix »

heyvern wrote:
No, those are just standard fill and shape effects that are built into AS.

When you select a fill shape there are two drop down menus "Effect 1" and "Effect 2". Experiment with those. Keep in mind they do not show up unless you render or export the animation. They do not display in the preview editing mode.

The stroke shape only has the option for one effect but you can combine multiple saved styles to create combinations of many different effects and styles.

Don't judge AS too harshly until you have really given it a try.

-vern
Ok. I will go in and give it my all and hope for the best. I think the main thing I need to do is practic practic practic just like I did with flash. It be great if there were more video tutorials lie flash has. I really really hate text tutorials. Do you know of any company that sells ASP video tutorials? I have found a few on YouTube but not much.
superanimatrix

Post by superanimatrix »

selgin wrote:can i post mine?

Yes that is great also. I know now that I can do great things with this program! Thanks for the post!
KenW

Post by KenW »

Ditto Superanimatrix,

this thread has opened up a whole new view to me of what can be achieved through this marvelous program. We have much to learn and can be grateful to heyvern and others for leading the way in taping into the tools and power of the AS experience. I enjoyed this thread so much. I can't thank you guys enough.
superanimatrix

Post by superanimatrix »

KenW wrote:Ditto Superanimatrix,

this thread has opened up a whole new view to me of what can be achieved through this marvelous program. We have much to learn and can be grateful to heyvern and others for leading the way in taping into the tools and power of the AS experience. I enjoyed this thread so much. I can't thank you guys enough.
Your right, I feel the same way. I am so glad I open up this thread. I was bout to give up but all the guys on here has been a huge help to me! :D
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I am glad I persisted with my "interrogation". For a while there I thought I was coming across as a mean jerk. ;) I was a little to be honest.

I was so sure that there was some confusing regarding the "style" you were seeking that I may have gotten a tad... annoyed, but in the end I am thrilled I was able to give you inspiration.

I am not always the best teacher. I made my own mother cry once when trying to teach her how to use the computer. It may have been payback for when I was a young child in school and was punished for not studying hard enough or not doing my homework.

My parents just don't pay attention! ;)

-vern
superanimatrix

Post by superanimatrix »

heyvern wrote:I am glad I persisted with my "interrogation". For a while there I thought I was coming across as a mean jerk. ;) I was a little to be honest.

I was so sure that there was some confusing regarding the "style" you were seeking that I may have gotten a tad... annoyed, but in the end I am thrilled I was able to give you inspiration.

I am not always the best teacher. I made my own mother cry once when trying to teach her how to use the computer. It may have been payback for when I was a young child in school and was punished for not studying hard enough or not doing my homework.

My parents just don't pay attention! ;)

-vern
LOL :lol: I first thought the same about you Vern. I thought you were just trying to be mean or just piss me off. You know how in every forum there is a Jerk? I thought you were that jerk but now I see you are very cool dude and very talanted. I think by me posting that picture of the wizard realy cleared things up and helped explain what I was trying to explain. I cant wait to get started leaning this stuff and posting some of my work. I just wish there were more video tutorials on ASP. Thanks Vern! :D
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

LOL Laughing I first thought the same about you Vern. I thought you were just trying to be mean or just piss me off.
I sort of was :oops:. I now realize that was a mistake and unfair. Yes that picture you posted explained EVERYTHING. :)

I can be a "jerk" on this forum sometimes and often make wrong assumptions and mistakes. I am very pig headed and stubborn sometimes. The one thing that drives me over the edge is when someone gives up trying to use the drawing tools in AS or says they are "useless" or no good or "why can't it work like Adobe Illustrator or Flash?". I often wish Flash or AI's tools were like the tools in Anime Studio! I like them better now.

Of course if I hadn't gotten "annoyed" and "jerky" I would have just dropped it and moved on...

All's well that ends well!

Just a heads up for you... the "lines" or curves in AS are totally completely different from Flash or Adobe Illustrator. Completely different.

This is why AS animates so well... this is also why importing EPS or AI format is not so good. Until efrontier adds in a "new" type of vector layer that uses a different curve description it is still better to draw in AS then importing. (must be a new vector layer type since it would "break" ALL old files if they replaced the current type.)

-vern