HAPPY LAND update

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Standee is really great. It's fun to see Paper be the annoyed one and to see Heavy be the one to squirm! :D For me it gives more depth to their personalities and their relationship dynamic. But I <3 Heavy.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Ha ha. Thanks.

I've made 12 of these, will probably finish the 13th tonight, so I haven't posted them all.

I think I'm going for 20, then I'll start experimenting with backgrounds and my brother plans to do the sound for these.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

You are probably already aware of this, but just in case! I read in another thread that Aniboom and Sesame Street are having an animation contest and I'm sure Happy Land would rock it. I don't know how that compares with the other opportunities you're looking at for Happy Land, though.

Edit: And I don't know if the animators are retaining their ownership and rights. I just looked through the fine print they included and it's hard to decipher. :\
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Thanks yep I know about the comp.

My pluck is that I'd like to create around 50 shorts that I own completely and then can license out indefinitely. I'm totally inspired by interstitial shorts La Linea and Pingu.

Anyways took all the Happy Land clips down, thanks for watching.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I received an email from an interested distributor. He would like 52 episodes. I'm on #16. Its possible I have my work cut out for me.
muffysb

Post by muffysb »

Congratulations! You'd better put the characters on danger pay, because that's fifty episodes worth of emotional and physical torment.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Woop. I've made 20 shorts.

Another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE1ZJiqKz_Y

I've recently purchased Toon Boom Storyboard Pro. Works well with my Cintiq. Speeds up the process a bit:

Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Considered some backgrounds:

slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I vote for a synthesis of the last two.

Some of the animations without any background where a bit hard to read for me. Since this is aiming at a kid's audience I think it's best to provide some visual aid about the stage. You'll need some perspective because you use shadows, and at the same time you need to preserve the 2D feeling.

I tried something here:

The elements are still flat, but I used a linear gradient for sky and grass. The hills are different from each other (not so obviously dick-like ... that's an important detail not to shy away TV execs with ...) and feature different colour areas and a cartoony shadow.

The drop shadow on the ground is very flat, nearly a line - needs some experimentation. The hills are spread vertically, this allows for some nice multiplane effect. The same goes for the clouds - didn't we have that discussion when you did the trailer?

The characters are carefully placed so that they stand on the ground (ground visible above feet) but still with a very low horizon (sky visible under body).
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

AWESOME! Thanks!
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

I liked them on the white background. The characters stood out from the background and the color palette was perfect. I can't see a way to add a blue sky without compromising on the color palette. The white background also gave a sense that anything could happen and the rules of the universe were unknown. Especially with hooks and spikes appearing at random. It felt like a stage. That stage feeling worked nicely considering the nature of your stories. The white and gray background you've created maintains those feelings, so that one is my personal favorite.

That said, it's possible that your audience could prefer a blue sky. So then it depends on what you're going for. The solid blue fill gives a sense of a very ordered and contained little story. The second to last with the leaning hills feels very spacious, but it creates so much interest in the depth that I would expect the characters to walk back between the hills. Slowtiger's background also has a spacious feeling. It reminds me of the windows XP background. :) The third down with the vignetting and the festive ground looks like a puppet show. That's my favorite of the blue sky versions, although I think the blue could use some adjustment.

PS--Have you seen the marionette show scene from The Sound of Music? I loved the way the backgrounds rolled down with a crash before the characters walked out. That might be a cool thing to try if you are going for a stage acting atmosphere.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

or maybe a light orange or salmon colored sky?
[image removed]
Last edited by lwaxana on Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Thanks for that great input. I may very well go with the white background. I sometimes go for runs on on those runs I get ideas the grey line being one of them. Not exactly a major brainwave but I also kind of like it.

I did a bg test I wasn't planning on posting but anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7DGhzohvzo
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Hehe, should have been clearer in my explanations. In order to keep the 2D style you must not ever zoom in - only trackings are allowed. (It's funny to note how much rules of movement determine a style as much as colour or chape...)

And of course you can't put a distant hill in front of a character, but you know that. I'd create a list of BG elements and props now, each bound to a certain "distance" and having a fixed size. I think it would be best to keep the scenery relatively empty, just add enough props to indicate space and have a reference so the spectator knows when the camera is tracking and when it's still.

Your colours are perfectly OK.