linux cinelerra?

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dueyftw

linux cinelerra?

Post by dueyftw »

Anyone tried cinelerra?

http://www.heroinewarrior.com/index.php3

In my effort to dump microship I also so found this page

http://www.linuxmovies.org/software.html

Dale
Genete

Post by Genete »

I've worked with it several times and I use it for scene composition and music and sound edition together the video tracks.
I use the cvs version due to its compilation from sources is very complicated.
It is great for have several audio tracks and for fine tune speccial effects to the video sequence.
The program requires a very quick computer to work smoothly.
Regarding to the interface it is a little strange to use at first, but if you have patiente and read the online help (SECRETS OF CINELERRA) you would ride the interface quickly.
To use it with Anime Studio there are two ways:
1) Import a video track if you have converted a png sequence to a avi or mov
2) Import a image sequence of PNG.
The best choice for me is the image sequence due the loseless quality and the best alpha composition (I don't know yet hot to composite a transparent video in linux from a png seuqence).
The output capabilities are great! You can choose a lot of codecs. The H264 codec is a particular version from cinelerra and I have had some problems to play it in other players than mplayer or the quicktime player form its webpage. Also standard mpeg4 codec output is so good in quality and performance. Forget any AVI or Microsoft codec. It would not work in any other machine. Also DV and jpeg motion are good options.

Video effects are also great! And it haves a large amount of them.
For me was also so cool the animated masking capabilities betqeen video tracks.
I think cinelerra is the best option for a serious company that want free software for its works.
-G
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The H264 codec is a particular version from cinelerra and I have had some problems to play it in other players than mplayer or the quicktime player form its webpage.
Apparently H.264 is the "hot" "new" codec. It is actually a version of MPEG-4. Apple uses it as it's standard for all their own stuff and as the default codec choice for their own video tools. It is the format used for iTunes TV and movie content. It is used on the iPhone... etc etc.

It does offer great quality at the smallest size and lower bit rates. Apparently YouTube is converting all of their video to this format. All new videos uploaded now are converted to H.264.

Unfortunately I haven't upgraded QT yet so I have trouble viewing a lot of videos using that codec. I have to use VLC or some other type of player.

-vern
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

How do I get the cvs version?

Dale
Genete

Post by Genete »

dueyftw wrote:
How do I get the cvs version?

Dale
http://cvs.cinelerra.org/