Test animation

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

FCSnow

Test animation

Post by FCSnow »

This is a test animation I just finished. What do you think. I'm ready to story board the rest of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj_K8wKERDY

Experimented with different effects and techniques.

F.C.Snow
Genete

Post by Genete »

I like the overall animation. It is quite good.
I suggest to slow down a little the blink effect of her dress. It is so quick and repetitive. It distract me about her expressions.

I would love to hear the "how to" on all the effects used on the animation.
Thanks
-G
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Not loading for me at YouTube! i get the page OK but it doesn't download
magicwand

Post by magicwand »

The animation looks really great.
Could you try a different nose style, the current one looks a bit hollow.
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Hello FC Snow. Great animation. Don't want to cause a row here, but I have seen Eartha Kitt many times over the last few decades, and if anything the dress is not nearly sparkly enough :)

Lovely work. The lip synch is a bit funny at the end, but the gestures are wonderful! Great idea, and very well executed. The finished animation will be a winner.

Can I ask what part you did in Elements? The dress I think (Doh) What do you think of Elements, is it worth getting for use with ASP etc?
FCSnow

Post by FCSnow »

"HOW I DID IT"
by
Victory Von Frankinstien (F.C.Snow)
(Ref: to Young Frankinstien)

I'm trying not write a dissertation on the use of Anime Studio Pro in animation and special effects.

"Santa Baby" uses 33 layers inside of 4 folders. I had given myself a one week time limit to complete the animation, partly to see if I could do it and to prepare for any future contests (I also didn't want to make this a lift time project). I estimate that I spent a total of 40 hour in creating it. Since I'm retired finding the time was no problem.

Since I'm also a fine art painter creating the figure of Eartha was no problem. In fact, I found it far easier to draw her with AS than any other program I have.

To make Eartha's dress move correctly I created a front and back skirt and added bones to it, as well as her legs.

To make her legs move correctly I use a combination of depth sorting and Translating Bone tool. This allowed her legs to swing from behind to in front of each other.

Adding static sparkles to her dress was done using the texturing technique found in the AS tutorials, using Adobe Photoshop Elements. But adding the animated sparkles was different story. I first tried using a particle effect, but it didn't right. (Sparks were flying off her in all directions.) I then tried using a texture layer in combination a switching layer. This seemed to work at first, but when Eartha moved out side of her cycle, the effect fell apart. I ended up using a simple switching layer under the main EARTHA folder.

Lip Sync became a problem. I not sure why, but the voice data wouldn't run the mouth switching layers. So I abandon it and did it manually. In some ways this turn out better.

The spot light and rays are simple geometric shapes. The spot light rays were gradient fill, white to black. The background color was select from the File - Project Settings as black.

Sometimes AS can become quite cantankerous if to do things out of expected order. If I had allowed myself more time, my Test Animation might have looked different

In all things, know your goal and work towards it.

F.C.Snow :D
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

But adding the animated sparkles was different story. I first tried using a particle effect, but it didn't right. (Sparks were flying off her in all directions.)
Masking would help. Look at this...
Sparkling Mermaid

EDIT: Added bones to tail so you could see the masked particles animated.