Linking Switch Layers to a Bone

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

huzz

Linking Switch Layers to a Bone

Post by huzz »

I have created 2 separate characters, and have one bone on each - their heads. They are images, but the switch layers (eyebrows, eyes, and mouth) are vectors in switch layers. The first one i did, linked the switch layers to the image inside the Bone group. They all move together. Perfect.
I created the second character the same way, but for some reason when I move the head, the eyes etc. just stay put. I am sure the settings are correct. I have tried using the bind layer tool from the Bone tools, but (not really knowing if that is the right thing anyway) nothing happens. I am confussed as to why it worked on one, but not the other...
I have posted here before, and HeyVern gave some great responses, and I am an amateur. But despite this, I know largely what things to look for when there is lack of and/or strange movement. But i seriously created these both the same way, and don't understand why one works and not the other...
Help?
Many thanks.
Huzz
Genete

Post by Genete »

When you say "The first one i did, linked the switch layers to the image inside the Bone group" what do you mean?

I think it is a problem of usage of bind layer tool.
First let me show you a general bone layer and its child layers:
-Main Bone Layer:
--A child Vector layer
--A child Switch layer
--A child Bone layer
--A child particle layer
--A child Group layer
--A child image layer
and so on.

When you BIND a child layer TO A BONE of its parent bone layer, you have to do followings steps in order:

a) Select the layer that you want to bind in the Layer window.
b) Select the Bind Layer tool.
c) Select the bone of the parent bone layer that you want the selected layer to be binded to.

I guess that you have confused the bone to select because the switch layers have also bones. Or you simply binded the other layer accidentally and cannot repeat the process.
When using the bind layer tool over a layer that is a bone type layer (a switch layer or another bone layer) the bones that belongs to the parent layer appears in the color that is called "Inactive". On the other hand the bones of the current selected layer appears in the color that is called "Object" See the following image.

After the step c) you should obtain only a bone selected (red) and it must belong to the parent bone layer.

If you reach the step b) and a bone of the parent bone layer comes to red it means that that layer is binded to that bone.
Warning! If you want to un-bind the layer you have only to select none bone when the bind layer tool is active. It could be also the cause of the error. You think that the layer is binded and make a second click outside any bone... you are just un-binding the layer.
Alternatively you can release a layer just going to Menu->Bone-> Release Layer.

If you do so, I'm sure the other character will work.
-G
huzz

Post by huzz »

Perfect. Thanks indeed. I must have accidentally binded the first one without knowing, and then got maddeningly confused as to why it wasn't working on the second. Thanks for the tips!
mooncaine

Post by mooncaine »

This helped me, too. Thanks for that.
-=-
MacBook Pro 17", 2.16Ghz, 2GB RAM, 5400rpm 120GB HD
ASP 5.5 updated August 2007
OSX 10.4.9