splash!!! HELP ME SOMEONE!!!!!!

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Someguy 3

splash!!! HELP ME SOMEONE!!!!!!

Post by Someguy 3 »

some one plz help me! i have asked about this for ages but no one has answered me!! how would i make a splash on anime studio? is there somewhere i can download a file with it in? if any one could help me i would be really greatful!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

How experienced are you with AS?

Do you want to create a realistic splash or a cartoon splash?

Have you tried anything on your own yet? If so can we see what you've got so far?

I only ask these questions to see if you've at least made the effort. Otherwise we're just doing the work for you. To be fair you only posted this question once before... about a week ago. ;)

A water splash is tricky and there are probably 50 different ways to accomplish it and each one at different levels of difficulty and style. The fact that so few examples exist on the forum may explain why you haven't gotten a lot of responses. It is tricky.

No actual samples but Slowtiger has some good advice in this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=8376

You could draw simple water "blobby" splash shapes and animate the points over time to create the illusion of the splash. Maybe put circular ripples on the water surface and animate scale and transparency as they spread out.

Or you could try using particles to create the water droplets (I see that you tried that already... how'd it go? Can we see the results?).

Many times the splash effect is enhanced by the sound effects that go with it.

Would like to see any of your attempts so far. Don't be embarrassed by the quality. It doesn't matter at all. It helps to see what you've tried so far so we can build on it.

I've never done a water splash. I did do a bucket of paint poured over someones head... hand animated point motion. No technique or trick involved. Just brute force. Sometimes that's the only solution.

-vern
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I have two suggestions. They are both overkill, so feel free to ignore them!

1) Get any Disney cartoon that features water (most of them do, but one suggestion is The Little Mermaid.) Disney has always been great at animating water -- slow down an appropriate sequence and study it frame by frame.

2) Get BitTorrent if you haven't already got it. Get yourself over to the Odd Job Jack web site, and download the complete series artwork that they have made available for free. Really. But it's at least a Gig download, so you'd better not be trying this with a dialup account. Some of these files (starting with FX) are special effects stuff -- blood, steam, sparks etc...and water. A great resource in any case, but should be able to get you started.

Next, my steamhammer nutcracker design...

J
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Someguy 3

Post by Someguy 3 »

ok , thanks for replying to me,
heyvern: i am quite experienced at AS PRO. i have made a splash on flash, but it wont export on AS PRO with alpha transparency. you can see that here: http://www.bebo.com/FlashBox.jsp?FlashBoxId=4310524866
i have tryed to make a splash on AS PRO using sevarl diferent methods, but they didnt work and i didnt save them, thinking they would be of no use. the animation i am using the splash in is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrRZIyNcpqE
( it is rude, crude, stupid and not funny, so not for kiddies!)
the sound of the kids screaming is when the splash should take place.

jahnocli: thanks for the help, but can you be a little more percific? I cant find any splashes or water effects, can you send me a link?
Someguy 3

Post by Someguy 3 »

ok , thanks for replying to me,
heyvern: i am quite experienced at AS PRO. i have made a splash on flash, but it wont export on AS PRO with alpha transparency. you can see that here: http://www.bebo.com/FlashBox.jsp?FlashBoxId=4310524866
i have tryed to make a splash on AS PRO using sevarl diferent methods, but they didnt work and i didnt save them, thinking they would be of no use. the animation i am using the splash in is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrRZIyNcpqE
( it is rude, crude, stupid and not funny, so not for kiddies!)
the sound of the kids screaming is when the splash should take place.

jahnocli: thanks for the help, but can you be a little more percific? I cant find any splashes or water effects, can you send me a link?
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

looks like nobody has done it yet on ASP5.

i'd suggest getting a motion study of it a water flow on a beach and start from there.

some anime japanese style splash seems to be more of the following:

1) move water line to stage.

2) decrease alpha while tweening, stop when zero.

3) goto (1)

by the way, i'm not an animator by profession so that may mean there are other styles that are better than this one.
Someguy 3

Post by Someguy 3 »

thanks for the help
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

To be honest, with your southpark style animation, you dont need much more than 3 frames to create a splash... imagine it as paper cutouts of a splash - you have the main big splash, then the thinner ring that rises, and then it all breaks up into little balls of water... that in combination of a ripple should get the job done... it would look weird in this style to have a really elaborate splash.

You can do the above with 3 or 4 frames on a switch layer i'd imagine.

-----------

edit: ok, it was slightly more complicated than i expected - so sue me :P
Still only took about 10 minutes... sometimes its better to experiment and find the answer instead of waiting on your tush for some other mug (me in this case :lol: ) to do the work for you.

Here is my attempt - its not perfect, but the principle is covered:
AS water splash test video
anme file here

PLEASE take the time to really look at what i did - dont just take the file and use it or you will learn nothing from my efforts...

feedback appreciated. :wink:

-------

p.s. your water line is TOO MENTAL - its off putting to the max, enough to give someone an epileptic fit... its like jelly on acid

p.p.s your horizon line is sloping

:wink:
Last edited by funksmaname on Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Someguy 3

Post by Someguy 3 »

thanks, i think that was a really good idiea, i am just making a splash with your method right now!