Video Training: How to Make a Head Turn with Actions PART 3

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DarthFurby

Video Training: How to Make a Head Turn with Actions PART 3

Post by DarthFurby »

Part 3 is 3 1/2 hours long.

Wait come back!

I can't believe it either. I am finally turning into my Dad. Life has a way of backstabbing you with a Sword of Irony.

Here is a preview of the first 10 minutes where I discuss another Actions technique that I meant to cover in Part 1 (5.5mb):

http://www.darthfurby.com/tutorials/as/actionstip.mp4

For the full video, click below(117mb):

http://www.darthfurby.com/tutorials/as/headturn3.mp4

Some practice files for the lesson:

http://www.darthfurby.com/tutorials/as/ ... part03.zip

In this third and final tutorial we use the character model from Part 2 to animate our headturn with a couple of single action keyframes.

Some stats:

640x480, 117 megabytes, .mp4 format.

Watch Part 1:

viewtopic.php?p=39256#39256

Watch Part 2:

viewtopic.php?p=40812#40812
Last edited by DarthFurby on Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Genete

Re: Video Training: How to Make a Head Turn with Actions PAR

Post by Genete »

DarthFurby wrote:Part 3 is 3 1/2 hours long.

Wait come back!

I can't believe it either. I am finally turning into my Dad. Life has a way of backstabbing you with a Sword of Irony.

http://www.darthfurby.com/tutorials/as/headturn3.zip

In this third and final tutorial we use the character model from Part 2 to animate our headturn with a couple of single action keyframes.

Some stats:

640x480, 303 megabytes, mov format.

I'll come back in a couple hours to write more details about this video. Just need to take a short nap.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hey man! 3 1/2h is longer than The Lord of the Rings The Return of the King stardard release!!
:lol:
If I take account the time I would need to download, prepare the chair with soft pillows, prepare some popcorn and a drink, and watch it, I'll spend the whole evening!!!

But I said spend and not waste. I'm completely sure it is worth the effort.

Thanks for share! and be sure I'll feed back when watched!.
Best
-G
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Yeah I don't know how many people will sit thru a 3 1/2 hour training video. The mind begins to wander after 1 hour.

I tried to explain every step in detail, so that really added a lot of time to the whole thing. In the future I'll stick to short 30 minute lessons/chapters.

Anyway I updated the first post with some project files to accompany the video.

Good to see you Gemete! And also thanks to the 3 or 4 people who actually watch this!
JUBARU

Post by JUBARU »

Darthburby - I logged in just to thank you for this and the other great tutorials you've done and shared. Since watching parts 1 & 2, I've been checking the forum daily for number 3! :D

I'm still downloading, but cant wait to watch this one too, and I'm sure its much more than 4 people learning from your vids.

Thanks again!
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Hey man! 3 1/2h is longer than The Lord of the Rings The Return of the King stardard release!!
LOL.

This is also a trilogy! now i've sat through the other two i have to see how it ends ;)

Thanks for taking the time DF... i've been looking forward to this one - your past tutorials have helped me a lot - ACTIONS ARE THE FUTURE! :)

----------

w00t! what server is this on? i'm getting 1.5Mb a second download :D:D:D
Draw_Girl

Post by Draw_Girl »

Hey, DarthFurby your practice files link is dead or maybe too many people are downloading it? :cry:
deserata

Post by deserata »

The timing couldn't have been better! I'd just gone through the other two parts and was wondering when the third was going to be posted.

Lengthy or not, I'm learning so much from them, and I'm grateful you took.... several hours out of your life to make these tutorials. :D
phastraq

Post by phastraq »

Yeah i've been waiting for this one for quite some time and it looks like I will be waiting for a while to come still (due to the size) but I appreciate the effort that went into this and it will be well worth the wait i am sure.

Is it possible that someone who has the full thing can break it up into 30 min chunks and re-upload it? That would be a great help. Thanks Again.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

It would be great if these could be on Youtube!
They only allow 10 minute chunks though. I think there was an issue about quality on youtube as well with screen captured tutorials.

I haven't seen these yet due to the size. My problem is I use the internet constantly for work... and play... ;) I rarely have the time to tie up my bandwidth like that.

... and when I go out or go to bed I always forget to start the darn download. ;)

I think tonight's the night. I really want to look these over. Maybe with some editing they could be shortened.

I am working on some Wink tutorials. I really want to start documenting some of my techniques. I am being very frugal (I have to use the darn PC for Wink. I'm a Mac guy.). Basically I am ASSUMING a minimum knowledge of AS.

This allows me to "skip" over large sections of the process. Like, selecting all the points of a mesh with the tab key, or drawing points. Instead of showing all the "clicks" involved in adding a point or a line I only show the line appear with one "click". With the basic knowledge of AS most people should already know how to do that.

Or for instance using "time lapse" for a long process. Do the first few steps then skip ahead.

I have been doing Origami (Japanese paper folding) since I was a child. They use the "time lapse" technique constantly. 50 steps to fold one side, then a short note "repeat steps 1-50 on the other 4 flaps". I usually take a nap at that point. ;)

Like I said I have not seen these yet so I don't know if any of the process could be edited.

-vern
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

JUBARU: Thanks! I learned my lesson tho. Next time it will be short and to the point, but I appreciate the support. The sad thing is I could've gone on for a lot longer. I feel sorry for my future grandkids.

funksmaname: At the rate you're going I'll be learning from you at some point. I don't think we are even halfway to discovering Anime Studio's full potential, but I have a feeling you're gonna be one of those guys who help us get there.

Draw_Girl: Sorry about that! It was a spelling error. The practice files link should work now.

deserata: Welcome to the forums! Almost everything you really need to know about actions is in Part 1. Part 2 and 3 just applies those techniques on a complex character. It's probably best to watch these in short bursts instead of one sitting, otherwise you'll go to bed with my voice narrating your worst nightmares.

phastraq: In the future I'll keep these video short I promise! If you're still having problems downloading this let me know.

heyvern: I am really hoping you get some video tutorials out there! Otherwise I will make a 6 hour video and blame you. Don't make me get rough!
phastraq

Post by phastraq »

Yeah that is like half a CD's worth of data to download. I don't mind getting them in slightly lower quality if it means getting it faster or maybe you can email it directly to my gmail mailbox (phastraq@gmail.com) but thanks again for all the help so far.
Draw_Girl

Post by Draw_Girl »

Thanks, DarthFurby, I got the files. :D YAY!!!!
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

phastraq- check back some time next week I should have something.

drawgirl- Great! If you decide to use the practice files to follow the video, make sure the interpolation setting for all the layers is set to linear, not smooth. You'll see what kind of problems I had at the end of the video for not doing this.
Stephen X

Thanks so much

Post by Stephen X »

These tutorials are great.

I am having a little trouble though and I was wondering if you could help me out. I was able to watch the first video fine in QT. The second one could not open in QT, but I was able to watch it in VLC. The third zip file wouldn't open for me.

Do I not have a QT codec that you are using and did anyone else have problems opening the zip file? I am in the process of downloading the files again to see if that corrects it.

Thanks again for all of you hard work. These tips are SUPER DUPER!

S:)

EDIT: Hey. I tried redownloading but did not unzip. I also tried taking the zip file over to a pc and nothing. I was successful at downloading and watching the addendum to part one.
2ner

Post by 2ner »

I also am unable to unzip headturn3.zip
"The archive is either in unknown format or damaged"