ease-in &ease-out

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

zvone

ease-in &ease-out

Post by zvone »

one nooooby question:
how do i edit ease-ins and ease-outs?
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

You can't by using the ease interpolation.
However you can get round this by setting your keys to 'smooth' and adding extra keys.
My technique is to add my extra key near to the key I want to slow out or into and then drag it in time. I then check the result by enabling the graph mode and tweak if nessesary.

Hope this helps
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

i watched a one hour Flash web-based tutorial about easing-in and easing-out using Flash, and I found this thread very similar to it as well.

question: has anybody done this recently? i'm going to try this out later and see if creating an ease-out frame near (90%) the keyframe and then dragging that 2/3 (75%) near the key would produce the same result.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

here is the sample file i made using the technique, though i made some slight variation to it to achieve a better behavior.

it seems that 24fps is a bit slow for this example by amping it up to 60fps.

http://www.begonza.com/animation/aspro/ ... 016.01.mov

http://www.begonza.com/animation/aspro/ ... 16.01.anme
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Hi,
dlangdev, you really shouldnt have to have an animation at 60fps to animate a ball bounce! also, there doesnt seem to be enough slow down at the top of the arch... heres my attempt - standard 24fps, just a bit less automation and more tlc :) (check the graph view, and how it has a wavey line)

video

anme file
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Uhm, I really recommend the proven, ancient, and holy way as it is written in the books of animation ... if you can't do it otherwise, scan in the basic ball bounce and adjust your AS file accordingly.
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

slowtiger wrote:...if you can't do it otherwise, scan in the basic ball bounce and adjust your AS file accordingly.
And how would the rest of your animation career be then?...
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

thanks funksmaname, i did go ever the .anme file and saw how it was implemented.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

the up/down movement and squash/stretch are two different things - but to create a natural bounce, the ball needs to slow at the top in both directions.

Put a ball on frame 1, go to 12 move it down, go to 24 put it back.
create a new frame at 6 (half way of down) and move it forward to 9
create a new freme at 18 (half way of up) and move it back 3 to 15 - you now have a natural bounce.

also, i doubled the bottom frame (12) so its on 12/13 so that on 13 i have a sudden squash (without the ball leaving the ground)... then moved all frames after it forward 1 frame to compensate...

see Simple Bounce (anme)

This is the principle Squeakydave described... and he's a man to listen to ;)
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

wondered about the ease-out at the bottom of the bounce (recoil), still figuring out what that was.

also, i'm going to try a corner kick, with a ball deformation effect at the moment of impact.

the image below is easier to rig, player set almost in a plane.

another technique i'd like to figure out is the shape blur effect in AS5, one sample leg blur shown below.

dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

"This is the principle Squeakydave described... and he's a man to listen to"

yup, saw his portfolio. he's already pro and established. not sure if he's still interested in this level of skill, though. it'd be nice to hear from him.

anyway, going back to graph mode, it looks like the wavy line shows a layer translation, not a shape translation. please correct me if i'm mistaken.