compositing help

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

zeongamer

compositing help

Post by zeongamer »

hi anime people,

i rendered two scenes separately in anime one with only baground animation and the other with a character walking.
now i want to composite the character walking video with the background video.
But the problem is when import the video into anime there r white space hiding the background layerin the character video which i dont know how to clear.

pls help me in how to render two videos for compositing and how to composite
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

This is a bug report?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Wrong forum.

And, you don't need to do two renders. Just render the character over the background.

-vern
myles

Post by myles »

Gently all.

Hi Neongamer, Vern's solution is probably the best (Vern's solutions generally are) - you can import your background layers with animation and render the two sections as one.

However, compositing your animation over a background can sometimes be faster than rendering over a background, and also allows you to work on the two parts independently.

To composite your character animation from Anime Studio over the background in a compositing progam or video editor, you need to export your animation from Anime Studio in one of the formats with alpha (transparent) values.

If you are exporting to Quicktime (.mov) format, you need to make sure the colour depth says "Millions of Colors+". The "+" bit is the alpha/transparent part.

As you are re-rendering from your compositing software or video editor at a later stage, it pays to keep your animation in as high a quality at this stage as you can. So, use a lossless codec such as Animation at Best quality, or the PNG codec. You can also use the None codec, but it creates rather large files and some computers can't handle these well, particularly for preview playback.

If you are on a Windows PC and have chosen to export in AVI format instead of Quicktime, Windows doesn't have any lossless codecs with alpha included except for the Full Frames (Uncompressed) codec, with the resulting large files some computers may not be able to handle well during preview playback.

However, you can download some third-party lossless codecs that handle alpha. Probably two of the best free ones are HuffYUV (get the original 2.1.1, not the somewhat problematic 2.2 or later which you may find floating about the 'Net) and Lagarith.

Note that when you export to AVI, you may need to go into the Options or Settings for the codec and enable alpha in the export (in HuffYUV, make sure Enable RGBA is selected).

Some video editors will automatically recognise the alpha values in the output video from Anime Studio, some you need to tell the software what alpha type is present in the video (I had to do this with Sony Vegas Studio, the little brother to the more professional Sony Vegas), and some don't recognise alpha at all, which is more common at the lower end of the price scale.

If the latter is the case, you can sometimes make the background in Anime Studio a vivid green or purple or something that isn't in your animation, then use the chroma-key (also called green-screen, blue-screen, color matte, chroma-matte or chroma key matte) feature of your compositing software instead.

Good luck!

Oh, and as our other posters said somewhat more succinctly, the bug report section of the forum is really for discussion of bugs in Anime Studio itself, not general problems. Your post would have received more, kinder, and appropriate attention in the General Anime Studio Discussion area or even the Other Software area. On the main forum page, you can see a brief little description of each forum sub-section's purpose under the forum section name.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx