cropping an image (newbie question)

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chumamania

cropping an image (newbie question)

Post by chumamania »

Okay so I made an object for anime studio in adobe , I cropped around it so its just the object I want. I export the object and import it to anime studio. But when I import the object, it isnt by itself, it imports on a page, is there anyway to just get the image, lol i dunno how to describe it if anyone can help id really appreciate it. Thanks
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

An image imported into AS is just an "object" or item floating on a layer. Like placing a photo into a Word document.

The document dimensions in AS are defined in the "Project Settings".

When select the layer translate tool and click on the layer of the imported image you will notice a feint outline around the image. That is the cropped area of the image when you saved it out of photoshop. It is in the document in AS whose total dimensions are defined by AS not by the imported image.

-----

Rereading your question... it is possible that you are talking about alpha transparency. The image has a transparent background. this would involve the creation of a 24 or 8bit PNG with an alpha channel in Photoshop.

-vern
chumamania

Post by chumamania »

This 24 or 8bit PNG with an alpha channel sounds more like what im talking about i think, basically when i crop an image in photoshop I just want that image, not the image attached to a page because when I import to anime studio the page its on covers stuff up, tell me if this is any clearer. Thanks
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

It might help if you did some research on image file formats and alpha channels to better understand what you will need.

To get "just the image" will require more than saving it in a different format like a PNG.

You will have to create the alpha channel to "cut out" the image from the back ground. It isn't "automatic" unless you created the image from scratch with this goal in mind.

The "page" you speak of isn't really "the page". It is white pixels that are part of the image.

-vern
chumamania

Post by chumamania »

Aight man, I really appreciate your help, I'm going through a tutorial now on alpha channels. Thanks man