resetting Origin

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

Douched wrote:The point of origin is the group layer called "face rotation" itself. The layers contained within that group have the Z depth outward from that origin.
Thanks for the recap, Anderson Cooper.

What I'm trying to figure out is...HOW the relative z-axis coord (in this instance, for the "face rotation" layer) was created/determined/established.

If you select the "face rotation" layer, you can only access/modify the z-axis coord if you use the Translate Layer too. There, if you manually type in (change!) z-axis coords, the *ENTIRE LAYER* moves as well.
Touched

Post by Touched »

And I was explaining to you exactly HOW it is established. You sure make a guy want to help, all right. What the hell is wrong with you and the petty insults?
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

Only my 11-year-old daughter or one her friends would take any of what I typed as an insult.

Wait a minute.....

"EMILY, ARE YOU POSTING MESSAGES AS 'DOUCHED' AGAIN???!!"
Touched

Post by Touched »

Your changing my name to "Douched" in the quote is exactly the petty, juvenile insult I was referring to.
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

Thanks again to rplate and Jack for their contributions.

I'll post the solution once I find it.
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Gnaws is this what you're trying to do?

http://darthfurby.ifastnet.com/3dGroup.anme

If so then Touched answered your question.
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

Can't access it DF - says it's "taking too long to respond".

I'll keep trying.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Here it is for you Gnaws:

http://amanoalzada.iespana.es/3dGroup.anme

I think it solves your questions.
Genete
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

Thanks DarthFurby and Genete! The example does indeed illustrate what i was trying to achieve, but I still wasn't sure how it was done.

So I kept trying and trying until I stumbled across the solution.

I clearly understood the entire time that each element had it's own axis relative to the group layer AND that the layers in the group were being translated, blah, blah. What wasn't "simple" was how it was established. rplate's explanation shed the most light. You can define the z-axis using the translate layer tool but, like I said earlier, it seemed to move the ENTIRE LAYER not the z-axis at all. (This is what was throwing me!)

Until....

You go back and select the parent layer. Once you've done that ONLY THEN will you see the new point of rotation on the layer at issue.

So to recap, you can define a custom z-axis for a layer by selecting the layer at issue then use the translate layer tool (and don't freak when the z-axis appears to move WITH THE LAYER), but you'll only see the adjusted z-axis when you go back and select the parent group layer.

I wish I could say this has been fun.

:roll: