"Synth Like Minds" music video

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

adam_rp

"Synth Like Minds" music video

Post by adam_rp »

Hi Folks,

I've finally made my first short film with MOHO (whoops! I mean ASP).... 'bout time too cos I have been playing around with it for a few years.

http://found.surfacepressure.net/

Its a video for scottish band "Found" and is an uncoventional love story involving machines, woodland creatures and belching chimneys.

It is meant to be 16:9 but looks like it has been compressed to 4:3 - I'll see if i can rectify that when i'm back at the office next week.

I'm quite pleased with it but i'd like to spend a bit more time trying to make my work look less clean in future. Perhaps by combining moho with non-vector based work.

Rain & Snow were added in After Effects but that's about it. ( would use particles more in ASP but it seems to glitch out for me and keeps sending out non-random particles - anyone else have that happen?)

Would be grateful for any feedback.

Best Wishes,

Adam.
djablo

Post by djablo »

Wow! Very nice work, i like it a lot !!

I see that you also enjoy rain, smoke and snow in your animations, they really do the trick don't they? :)

If you want to "dirt" up your animations, try using Digital Film Tools 55mm filters in post, they are in my humble opinion the absolut best film filters out there.

cheers // juan
---------------------------------------
Temperamento Animation Lab
http://www.temperamento.net
Touched

Post by Touched »

Youtube presents everything as 4:3. If you want to have a 16:9 video on there, you have to letterbox it.

Nice visual style.
adam_rp

Reply to comments

Post by adam_rp »

Cheers,

thanks for the comments.

RE: Snow and Rain - yep it definately helps the film. It was appropriate to use them I think in the context of the narrative in order to make a distinction between the light (innocent woodland creatures) & dark (black rain falling from the sky) elements of the video. I'll try not to fall back on it as a cover for the limitations of my own animation in future though.

RE: 'dirtying' things up. I would like to try and combine hand drawn techniques with elements drawn in ASP. But that's a whole other discipline - so I better start sharpening my pencils (or maybe use something like 'Mirage' with a graphics tablet. If you are looking for good filters, 'magic bullet' is good too. But i only have access to this as i bought it for my workplace - wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise.

Thanks again,

Adam.
Genete

Post by Genete »

I like it. The thing I like more is the use of the camera framing.
Good job.
-G
djablo

Post by djablo »

Yes the Magic Bullet Suite is also a good collection of filmic filters, no doubt about that.

There is a technique to "dirt things" up hand drawned style in Autodesk Combustion. You can actually draw with particles (or anything else), but they will not be self animated (i mean they will not have the usual "life"), you draw with the pixel image of lets say on one of the smoke effects frame by frame. Just make sure that you have the palette "show filmstrip" and the onion skin activated and start messing it up frame by frame. :)

I did this with that technique (the first 10 secs) : http://youtube.com/watch?v=2nlTThVoGSA

And then you have some effects/filters (some of the Sapphires) that actually can read a matte channel and gives you the ability to draw the effect on that exact place in that exact frame creating very interesting "hand made" effects in post.
---------------------------------------
Temperamento Animation Lab
http://www.temperamento.net
adam_rp

thanks...

Post by adam_rp »

Thanks for the comments,

I'll have to look at your example when I'm back home from London next week Djablo. I'm stuck in an internet cafe that doesn't like to play vids from youtube - darn.

Will certainly think about using a variation on that technique though-cheers.

Take it easy,

Adam.