3D hand skeleton

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Amazing work. It is very very easy to use, but I don't understand how you made it. A tutorial would be really helpful.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Here is the tutorial. It is conceived for a main rotation for the Y axis and a secondary rotation for the X axis. In the hand example I have changed to a main rotation on the X axis and a secondary one to the Y. Conceptually it is the same but I prefer the way it rotates for the partiuclar case of the hand. Also I have added a Z rotation. It is not in the tutorial but it is no so difficult to understand if you follow how the bones moves and are linked between them.
In the last anme files I have added in this topic I have added some "volume" to the "3D" skeleton. I have used a trick that is superpose shapes and rotate them with the small bones to give the ilusion of volume. It is not following the tutorial. It is only a trick to avoid to put more bones in the rig. :wink:

Thanks.
Genete
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Thanks a lot Genete. It would be nice if you could control the x, y and z axis with one bone instead of 3, but this technique just blows me away. Hopefully I can make something like this soon.
Genete

Post by Genete »

DarthFurby wrote:Thanks a lot Genete. It would be nice if you could control the x, y and z axis with one bone instead of 3, but this technique just blows me away. Hopefully I can make something like this soon.
For that you need some kind of embedded script (heyvern prepared one in script subforum - search for rotatetrans in it) but WARNING your machine could explode!!! :wink:
Seriously, you can do it in the same way that the orbit tool in AS but it could be a pain...
Genete

Post by Genete »

Hi!
I've just made some changes in the anme file. As said in other thread I' ve modified the palm shapes to allow a 180º turn of the palm,

http://amanoalzada.iespana.es/Mohostuff/3Dhandtest.swf
http://amanoalzada.iespana.es/Mohostuff/3Dhandtest.anme

Also I have separated the fingers into different bone layers. In this way you could manage better the small bones and dont touch one for other finger without intention. The bad new is that Y rotation is now individual for each finger and must be done for every rotation of the palm individually for every keyframe. It is not atomatic. But anyway it could help to give mor expresivity to the whole hand allowing some kind of crossfingers. Also individual layers for every finger allows to separate every phalanx into vector layers and its ordering is easier (what is not done yet).

Here is the sample (with separate layers).

http://amanoalzada.iespana.es/Mohostuff/4th3Dhand.swf
http://amanoalzada.iespana.es/Mohostuff/4th3Dhand.anme

Notice that I can rotate the hand to be pointing towards the observer point of view, which is a pose of the hand that I never thought it can be reached.

Critics and comments will be welcome.

Regards
Genete
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

genete, you are simply a genius. this hand is amazing. amazing. lostmarble must be asking him self Really was this made with my software?
p6r

Post by p6r »

you are GREAT, GREAT, GREAT, GREAT, GREAT...

6R

And another one : GREAT !!!
Genete

Post by Genete »

selgin wrote:genete, you are simply a genius. this hand is amazing. amazing. lostmarble must be asking him self Really was this made with my software?
p6r wrote:you are GREAT, GREAT, GREAT, GREAT, GREAT...

6R

And another one : GREAT !!!
If you are very excited imagine how much I am!!!!!

Yes, this hand is very impressive because modeling a hand have been a hard task during a looooong time.

Next step is subdivide the fingers into phalanxs in different vectors layers and add some outline shapes for the edges to be dynamically hidden and shown. Also a phalanx shape ordering should be easy. It will produce a more natural hand image.

But you should wait a little...

Regards
Genete
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

It keeps getting better!

Very cool. I am tempted....

;)

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

heyvern wrote:It keeps getting better!

Very cool. I am tempted....

;)

-vern
Thanks friend. Your observations & comments are gold for me.

I threaten that one of those days I will 3D rig a face...

Regards
Genete
dekka

Post by dekka »

hi genete, again great work.
my pc is AMD athlon 2800+. i have 760MB of memory. somehow, i can play the anme file. as in ply it in the time line but as soon as touch a bone AS crashes on me. any idea why?
lookin' at it thru the grand scheme of life, i don't give a damn
Genete

Post by Genete »

dekka wrote:hi genete, again great work.
my pc is AMD athlon 2800+. i have 760MB of memory. somehow, i can play the anme file. as in ply it in the time line but as soon as touch a bone AS crashes on me. any idea why?
I'm very worry about this, because It don't happen to any other... See heyvern's comments:
My Mac is kind of low end (733mhz 640 mb ram) and I can run this file without a problem.

My PC also only has 640mb ram and doesn't have trouble with lots of bones.
I only can guess that your copy of Moho/AS is corrupted. Perhaps some of the bone script tools have wrong code... Did you install some custome tool anytime?. You can try to re-install the program and try again. I have not more clues. Sorry.
Best, Genete
Genete

Post by Genete »

UPDATED:
1) Finger shapes modified. New setup.
2) Added additional bones to control the line hidding.

TODO:
1) Actions for finger ordering
2) Actions for phalanxs ordering.
3) Tutorial "how to proper animate and not get lost" :wink:
4) Palm line hiding... :(

Feedback will be apreciated.
Regards
Genete

PD: This particular animation have some errors (lines not properly hidden and some not proper phalanxs ordering) but I couldn wait to fix them without show you the results,

http://amanoalzada.iespana.es/Mohostuff/5th3Dhand.swf
http://amanoalzada.iespana.es/Mohostuff/5th3Dhand.anme
human

Post by human »

This forum inhabited by geniuses.
Genete

Post by Genete »

human wrote:This forum inhabited by geniuses.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I'm just a novice ...