Compression

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

booboo_kitten

Compression

Post by booboo_kitten »

Is there a way to make clearer rendered animation. My images are so unclear, and horribly compressed. :(
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

When rendering use a different compression codec.

When I render to a file I get 2 windows.

The first window asks where to save the rendered file. I hit okay and the second window is the settings for the compression (in my case QT settings).

This second window is the same thing for all my applications that use QT.

I don't know how this works with AVI on Windows but it is the same using QT for Windows with AS renders.

Hope this helps.

-vern
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

It also depends on what you are going to use your animation for. If you want to use it for the internet, there are several options:
  • QuickTime is the most universal for stand-alone animation, with a codec called Sorenson Video 3
  • for an online service like YouTube, you can best export with the least amount of compression, and use an external tool to create a FLV file with these features (or as close as you can get to them):
    • video bitrate: 300 kbps
    • audio bitrate: 64 kbps
    • audio sample rate: 22.1 Khz
    • audio in mono
I have no experience with exporting to DVD, etc., but I guess that should be MPEG-2 or DivX, where MPEG-2 is the more universal video format. I'm not sure what codec to use for the MPEG-2.

Another good video format is MPEG-4, with H.264 codec. This is for playback on more modern computers (and perhaps some hi-tech DVD players?).
LittleFenris

Post by LittleFenris »

Flash Video or a properly encoded Windows Media Video file are the best as far as quality vs. size. A QuickTime movie with the h.264 codec will look great and be smaller than alot of other codecs if you go the QuickTime route. I actually use the h.264 codec when I'm exporting QuickTime files to be distributed for TV broadcast...that's how good it looks but still keeps the filesize manageable. I don't know where to get free FLV or WMV encoders since I use our studio software (Flash 8 Encoder or Cleaner 6.5 for FLVs and Cleaner 6.5 for WMVs and QTs) We also have pro versions of QuickTime on all our machines so I use that sometimes for QT export to the h.264 codec.
Touched

Post by Touched »

SUPER for Windows and WinFF for Windows and Linux are both free multi-purpose video converters for Windows that will convert to Flash video (FLV).