add points, reduce useless points

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

trash

add points, reduce useless points

Post by trash »

I would love an add points tool and a reduce useless points tool.
Select the shape or select a connected group of points, click add points and just enter how many points you want added, which are added evenly around the shape or selected point group. A simular tool to reduce dead points, that arent part of a shape or are redundant, when you have several points in a straight line. I spend way too much time having to add points 1 at a time. Being able to add 10, 20 or more points to a shape quickly would reduce my work time significantly.

Big uses for adding a large number of points include adding connecting points to the bone structure for something like a hand with individual fingers. Or being able to reshape something that you have in the rough shape you want.

-Trash
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Sorry, I missed this one. If you look in the scripting forum, there are a some point reduction scripts in there (from Myles and me, mine I want to do some smartening on when I have the chance). I use mine both to kill many of the useless points in imported files as well as simplifying areas that don't need detail in drawings I did in the Freehand tool set to lotsa detail. If you're not interested in doing the scripting, you might not look there, but it's the place that I, at least, have been putting custom tools. Maybe I should put announcements elsewhere.

Adding points. Hmmmm. I can certainly see the usefulness, because I've done the same thing. It's a little more tricky than the point reduction, as far as the math (for me at least) to figure out where the new points should go on the curve. After that, I would figure it would be a X2, X3, etc. number of points in the selected area. I wouldn't do it like "add 20 points here", too hard to figure out where they go. But that's do-able. I'm 80 hours a week busy at work at the moment, so it may take a bit, but I'll definitely put this one on my list.

--Brian