Stop interpolation between 2 identical actions?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mooncaine

Stop interpolation between 2 identical actions?

Post by mooncaine »

I made an action that changes the Switch Layer settings for a group of eyelid shapes, so I could re-use a 'normal blink' animation instead of redoing it.

The first and last keyframes in this action are identical [the same Switch layer is keyframed].

When I use this blink action, it looks great the first time, but after the first action, the eyelids very slowly move as if being interpolated from an open keyframe towards a semi-closed keyframe, then 'pop' back open when the action appears on the main timeline again.

I suspect this might be because I set my Switch layer to interpolate.

Is there anything I can do to stop this action-to-action interpolation? It's not interpolating between the action's keyframes. It seems to have a mind of its own.

I put up a 132-frame SWF [136kB] and a screenshot of my timeline [24kB], if you'd be kind enough to take a look. We should see fast blinks only. After the leftmost character says "... work here?", there's a long, slow and awful eyelid motion.

I thought this thread might be relevant, but I'm not sure I understand it.
Genete

Post by Genete »

I bet that your character have at frame 0 the eyelids semiclosed.
When you paste a refernece of the action it copies the frame 0 before the rest of frames. You can delete that keyframe the corresponding to frame 0 at the previous frame of the insertion point of the actoin reference) and then the eye blink will be quick again.
If it don't work let me know or put the anme file.

Regrds
Genete
mooncaine

Post by mooncaine »

Genete,

My character has a keyframe for the eyes open switch layer at frame 0. Also, in the Action itself [called "Robin norml blink"], I keyframed the same eyes open layer at frame 0 of the action, and on the last frame of the action.

Thanks for offering to look at my .anme file. Here it is [303kB]. I think it will come through without sound, but you won't need sound anyway. It's just the eye blinks that are a problem with this file.

Oh, and here's a link to an updated SWF of that same file [I made a few changes while waiting for some kind help here, just putting the blinks in different places and adding more of them].
Genete

Post by Genete »

At frame 17 there is a missing keyframe. If you delete the action inserted at frame 9 and insert it again the problem dissapear and a keyframe will then appear at frame 17.
It is very strange (perhaps a bug) When you insert a reference of an action AND there is no keyframe after, then it does not insert an extra keyframe at the end of the reference. If you insert an action and after (in timeline) there are other keyframes, then AS insert an extra keyframe (the 17th) and everything is ok.
It don't happen if you insert a copy of the action instead insert a reference.

To solve your problem during animation you can do following: With the switch layer keyframe timeline empty then add a keyframe at the end of the animation. It does not introduce any animation in your timeline as well as the inserted keyframe is the same as the keyframe at frame 0.
Then you can insert the references of the actions normally and the problem will not appear never more in you animation.
Every action that you insert and there were none keyframe in the timeline it will produce a bad insertion of the refernce and later insertion of the reference will cause problems. Enclosing the animation fisrt and last frames with two keyframes will solve the problem.

I hope it makes sense for you.

Regards
Genete
mooncaine

I think that solved the problem. Thanks!

Post by mooncaine »

Genete, thanks so much!

Here's how I restate the problem & solution, to be sure I understand it [and to help future readers]:

Problem: when an Action is inserted [as a reference, not a copy] into the main timeline, and the Action has animated switches on an interpolated switch layer, ASP puts bad, interpolated motion after the inserted action[s].

Solution 1: before inserting any actions, enclose the main timeline's animation with first and last keyframes, in this case keying the switch layer on the main timeline with the same keyframe on frame 1 and on the last frame of the entire timeline's animation.

That way, Actions that are inserted as ref copies will be able to start and finish properly and completely.

Solution 2: insert an Action as a copy instead of a reference.

I used solution 1, and it seems to be working great. :)
Genete

Post by Genete »

Hehe, I think you caught my explanations... Oh my english! I have to inprove it!!!
But well the idea was transmited!!

Glad to help!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Genete, I always understand you. I just wish I could improve my english so you can understand me better sometimes. ;)

I always use too much slang and colloquialisms.

I have embarrassed myself many times in business situations with people from different countries. I have a difficult time understanding the more exotic accents.

I remember once a young lady from India and I just decided to only communicate through email. Email was PERFECT for us! I understood everything. We both spoke the same "techy" language but the accent often got in the way during our meetings.

I am not a man of the world. ;)

-vern
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

You're a female alien!!??
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
mooncaine

Post by mooncaine »

Just found this and needed it. I think I'll post it to the Resources thread. Good, crucial tips here to make Actions work properly even when you want them interpolating.
-=-
MacBook Pro 17", 2.16Ghz, 2GB RAM, 5400rpm 120GB HD
ASP 5.5 updated August 2007
OSX 10.4.9