Proper Bones for Character

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

HassleHead

Proper Bones for Character

Post by HassleHead »

I know bones has been written about a lot. But it's an important topic I'm still trying to figure out how best to construct my characters. I know I can use regional binding for a cut-out type of look and feel. But that gives me jagged edges where layers connect. I know I can use flexible binding, but that give me weird effects on vector points if I connect too many bones together. Does anyone have a good example of a well constructed character that optimizes the two methods? I'm in the middle of constructing a character right now. His body and legs work well with flexible binding. But when I add feet/shoes, it throws off the mix. Anyone have experience on a best or really good method for constructing characters? I'll post some example files soon.

Thanks

HasslHead
Genete

Post by Genete »

http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4970

This is the post I remember first about limbs and its joints. Very interesting.
Sorry for not help more now but I'm in a hurry. Maybe tonight.
Cheers!
HassleHead

Nice

Post by HassleHead »

Thank you Genete that is a beautiful example. I will see if that will work with me - if I can make it work for me.

-HassleHead
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Mind you, that this example file of jordanek uses point binding, instead of the regular flexible binding (that is the one with bone strength). Point binding is only practicle if you have a vector drawing with as few as possible points to control.
HassleHead

Post by HassleHead »

I'm noticing that now, Rasheed. Thank you. It's instructive to look at that example, but I'm not sure it will work for me. My characters are more complicated and would make that kind of point binding a nightmare.

What do you recommend as a good rigging strategy?

-HassleHead
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I'm really not an efficient animator yet, so I can give you any specific tips there. However, you can mix several types of bone binding (see my other post in another thread you responded to).

It all depends what kind of animation you want to create. If your characters are rounded Saturday morning type characters, flexi-point binding (bone strength) should be very well suited. If your characters are more realistic, point binding is probably much better. However, you'll need to simplify the character so the rigging stays manageable. It is just so easy to miss a point, or bind a point to a wrong bone. If you have a lot of points, you will have a hard time to to find any rigging errors.

Luckily, you can chop up your character in layers, so the point count per layer is manageable. This is also simplifying matters, and you need to learn to think in layers. So my advice is to intelligently spread the pieces that make up your character over layers.

This is why the setup in AS can take so long. Character building often takes more time than the animation itself, because you have to decide what part will go in what layer, and first of all, what the parts of your character are. You will need to analyze your character thoroughly.

Like I wrote earlier, I can't give you any specific advice...