Parent eyes to boned head?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

StopMo

Parent eyes to boned head?

Post by StopMo »

I'm totally lost on this - I've set up a boned head (it's a moon-guy, actually), and above it is an eye layer - vectored art. I can get the bones to control the face underneath, but the eyes, which need to sit above the face for visibility's sake, don't track with the head.

How do I keep them visible - on top of the head - and keep the head bound to the bones? This is driving me nuts!
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

There are several solutions to your problem. The easiest way is to put a bone on the eyes in the bone layer, go the to eyes layer, use the Bind Layer tool and select the bone you just created. Next, go back to the bone layer, and select the bone for the eyes. Now, with the Bone Strength tool, make the bone strength zero. Next, with the Reparent Bone tool, select the root bone of your head (that is the bone that has only child bones, but no parent bone; you can recognize it, because it has no red arrow pointing to other bones on it).

Here you can see I have done this with the eyes, eyebrows and mouth layers, which I can move without distorting the other vectors:
Image Image

Source file: bindlayer.moho.zip
StopMo

Post by StopMo »

Thank you, Rasheed, I will try that!