Masking

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

NightmanGX

Masking

Post by NightmanGX »

How do you use masking in layers? I have been through the tutorial that come with AS but I am having a hard time understanding them. I would like to use them to create blinking eyes.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

make a group layer and put inside the pupil layer and the eyelids layer.
the eyelid must be at bottom (i mean, the pupil layer must be on the eyelid layer).
now go to the group proprieties and select hide all in masking. ok.
go to the eyelid layer proprieties and select the last option in masking (+ erase the mask then...).

that's all, now the pupil won't scape from the eye.

here is an example. right click, save as
http://www.freewebs.com/tazatriste/mohos/eye.anme
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

There are a few posts about eyes if I remember. You may want to do a search. Here are a few , there are likely others.

http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtop ... ye+masking

heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Don't forget one very important thing. In some situations, groups inside groups with masking for instance, the masking doesn't show properly in the preview. You must render to see it. It renders correctly but when the masking is in sub group layers it doesn't display accurately.

This confused me when I first started playing with masks.

-vern
myles

Post by myles »

Greetings ,

Here's a rough little visual walk-through of what Selgin described, if you're more of a visual person.

Ignore where it says Moho instead of Anime Studio, and if you are using AS standard instead of AS Pro, use a bone layer (possibly without bones) instead of a group layer.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

That's awesome, Myles.

Thanks! :D
NightmanGX

Post by NightmanGX »

Thx for all the help everyone, especially you Myles, thanks for the great tutorial!
mooncaine

Post by mooncaine »

bump ... since this forum doesn't show the list of topics I subscribed to, the best way for me to be able to find my favorite topics again is to post something myself. The forum does show a list of my own posts....
Genete

Post by Genete »

Just click in your name in one of the posts of the forum and then click on "Find all posts by moncaine"...
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

What I do when I want to extract data from the forum is to use Google. Type the subject phrase, followed by site:lostmarble.com. You may even find some threads you didn't notice before.

If you put bump in every thread you want to revisit, you're actually spamming the forum, because it is an unwanted and highly off-topic message.

So please, mooncaine, stop using this technique.

If it is that important to you, simply put the URLs of the threads in the Favorites of you webbrowser.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Yes! Please stop!

It is the same as getting spam in old threads.
I get all excited about new discussions only to find "bump" on an old topic with no new info.

p.s. Making "bump" real tiny doesn't help either. ;)

No hard feelings really. Just a friendly request.

-vern
mooncaine

Post by mooncaine »

Sorry, folks. I wasn't sure if I would upset folks, so that's why I explained my motive. I will stop doing bumps.

Thanks for the tip about using Google with the site:lostmarble.com, Rasheed, and thanks Genete for the tip about clicking my name [but that won't work unless I actually post to a thread].

Are the URLS stable? If I bookmark this thread's URL today, will the bookmark still lead to it next year? Hope so.

Sorry for the bother, folks. Consider it stopped.
:)
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

We are very forgiving on this forum, but we have had our fair share of really nasty spam, with sometimes 40 spam messages (or more) per minute, which blocked the access to the forum.

Yes, the URLs are stable and go back as far as August 2004.

The administrator of this forum (Mike Clifton, aka Lost Marble) has stated that he values this forum highly, and doesn't consider deleting any message (unless it is spam, or a flame war thread, as happened a little while ago).
mooncaine

Post by mooncaine »

I'm so pleased to know it, and so sorry to have given offense.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

No problem dude!

I've done some REALLY REALLY stupid things on forums myself.

... in the past. I don't do stupid things any more... no really. I don't. I swear I don't do silly things on forums!

There was one time when I thought I was replying to a personal message on the Hash forum and in reality I posted it to the whole dang forum. I really trashed some people, I made fun of people... I made fun of other artists work!!!! I was vicious. Oh my GOD!

It was horribly embarrassing. Oh good grief... I had trouble sleeping for several nights.

p.s. sad thing is it was an honest and truthful opinion... but you don't want everyone to hear the truth sometimes. Like if your girl friend DOES look fat in that dress... you don't say it out loud.

;)

-vern