A backgroud GRID for AS

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rplate

A backgroud GRID for AS

Post by rplate »

Ever wish you had a reference grid to keep all those vector points in order as you shape your image. The thing I found about doing point aimation is that if you just move your dots without alignment with the previous key frame, you will get a rolling edge that doesn't look smooth during the animation. I noticed that early on as I did the point animation click here to see what I mean.
As you watch the FLASH version of the animation look at the hair line of Kirk as it starts. Notice how his sideburn looks like somebody is pouring paint on his head. It doesn't move with the rotaion of the head as it turns. Later in the animation I caught on to the importance of pulling the vector points in the direction of the moving edge. Often it is a horizontal or vertical direction but sometimes diagonal. I've learned that if you light up a red dot or two and scrub back and forth to watch it's flow you soon realize the direction of the point flow. Also if you have a dot, say at the bottom edge of the ear, it is best to always keep that dot where it belongs, at the bottom of the ear. Or wherever you put it in your first key frame. Easier said than done. :) But, it gives a smoother final animation.
I was thinking a GRID background would be helpful. So, I created an AS file with one in it. It's simply a grid with small numbered squares. The size of the squares are irrelevant as they are only for a reference guide. I think it might help, and its only a 4K zip file. click here to get the Anime GRID file. When you open it ifrom inside AS it is a clean file with just a grid image.

I just wiped out my site folder with all my AS links. the zip file is there but I'll have to go back and fix ALL my other links. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Last edited by rplate on Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Two things:

Images are not saved with the AS file so you need to include them in the zip.

Also, there is a grid feature in AS (check box at bottom of preview with numbers for spacing) but I don't know if this is the type of grid you are referring to.

-vern
rplate

Post by rplate »

heyvern wrote:Two things:

Also, there is a grid feature in AS (check box at bottom of preview with numbers for spacing) but I don't know if this is the type of grid you are referring to.

-vern
OOPS! forgot that. :oops: click here to get the Anime GRID files.

I looked and tried the grid at the bottom of ASP and don't see anything on the window. Take a look at this Grid AS file and let me know if that's the kind of grid I should be seeing. Thanks for the heads up on the image file. When I did the test download it worked for me. But then I had the image file already on my computer, It tricked me!
Too much to remember and forgot so much already. :oops:
rplate

Post by rplate »

heyvern wrote:Two things:

-vern
I mistook the GRAPH button for the GRID button,
I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! :x :x
I saw it some time ago when I first used ASP. I found it again. :x :x
This is not my day. :x :x

Well at least I hope I made some important points (no pun intended) about point animation.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Don't worry about it!

I have done this several times. Posted a "technique" only to find out there is a better or built in way to do it. As long as this is educational it is a good thing.

;)

-vern