disappearing lines near the borders of the screen

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

3emeType

disappearing lines near the borders of the screen

Post by 3emeType »

When exporting to avi :
http://pix.nofrag.com/bc/a7/e9550587d80 ... d2ffe.html

Is it possible to correct this ?

It does not appear when exporting to swf (but another bug appear then)
Genete

Post by Genete »

It seems that you are using "Sort layers by true distance" option. If really you don't need it then uncheck it in Project settings. Perhaps problem is solved.
Hope it helps.
3emeType

Post by 3emeType »

Thanks but I don't use "Sort layers by true distance". I don't use either "sort layer by depth"
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Holy cow!

I have only seen this happening when I work in AS and zoom in on strokes. They sort of disappear when a POINT of the stroke is RIGHT ON THE EDGE of the image area. That blue box. If a point of a stroke is right on or very close to that blue work area box, it will cause that strange behavior.

In all my use of Moho and AS I have never seen this happen in an actual render! Took me a few minutes to cause the trouble to verify it.

The solution is to make sure that a point of the stroke is never right on that line. Adjust key frames or points so this doesn't happen. This is probably why I never saw it in a render. It is almost like a million in one shot.

You could also render slightly larger and crop the movie afterwards, but that seems like a lot of extra effort.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense. I will try to explain better.

-vern
3emeType

Post by 3emeType »

your solution take more time than cropping... am I wrong ?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

your solution take more time than cropping... am I wrong ?
Well...

It depends on your point of view I suppose. From my perspective it would take more work to crop then to slide a few key frames or adjust a few points, since it would involve changing the document resolution and reimporting to AS or another application to crop.

In all the time I've used AS I've never had this occur in a render. I will have to wait until it happens to me before I can honestly decide the best approach to fixing it.

It may have happened but I don't usually have single strokes that thick and prominent on the screen. I usually have other effects going on that possibly have hidden the problem so it wasn't noticeable.

It is a probability issue as well. The point of a stroke has to fall right on that line. A little bit above or below and it doesn't happen.

From that point of view, it would be easier to make sure the point is above or below that line by slightly moving the key frames or points so that the point is on the line BETWEEN "rendered frames" where the problem is never actually seen in a rendered frame.

Hard to explain.

-vern
3emeType

Post by 3emeType »

It happens in all my animations, so I don't think that "The point of a stroke has to fall right on that line".

I think the problem is that I zoom to much... but I need it !
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I use camera zoom a lot as well.

This is bugging me now. I can't believe this issue has never come up before. Now that I know about it and can "make it happen"... I want to figure out why it happens more precisely.

I was wrong about the location of the points. It doesn't have to be right on the edge... although in some cases it does... I am puzzled. It may have to do with extreme corners. Where two points close together create a tight corner... I'm guessing here completely. ;)

In the meantime you could use the crop solution. Keep in mind this only happens on the edges. Most of the stuff I have been doing is for DVD or NTSC output, so all of my stuff gets the edges cropped off anyway. This may be why I never noticed it before.

Another solution although it is a stinky one, would be to use shapes instead of thick strokes... like I said that solution is awful.

This is a weird one.

-vern