Preserving dimensions of imported vector artwork?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

grimble67

Preserving dimensions of imported vector artwork?

Post by grimble67 »

I drew a character in a 3rd party vector program (Expression 3, from Microsoft), and drew each limb and body part on a different layer. I exported each layer as a separate Illustrator 7 file, and imported them in to Moho, with the intention of "boning" them together.

Moho seemed to be oblivious to each image's original dimensions. This was a problem because the scaling between the layers was wrong. For example, the character's shoe was the same size as its head. I had to get an original copy of the character on the screen, and systematically scale each layer so it matched with the other layers. I never did quite get the original look.

Is this a problem with the source program (Expression), or is Moho unable to determine original dimensions? Is there another import format I can try? I've tried EPS, but Moho doesn't do very well with that.

I've also noticed that my Moho file is huge; over 2M with only about 10 seconds of action. Ironically, the AVI file is only 0.5M. Is the Moho file so large because I've imported artwork?
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

When Moho imports a vector file, it automatically resizes the control points so that the whole shape fits in the main workspace view. This means that your separate shapes will each be resized differently so that each fits in the view. Without resizing, imported vector artwork would come in at either a gigantic or miniscule size.

In your case, would it be possible to put all the body parts in one layer, just separated apart (as in Tutorial 3.4)? That way, they would all get resized together, maintaining their relative proportions.

Regarding filesize: some imported Illustrator files can result in lots of control points in Moho. I mean lots - people have sent in files that had control points packed together denser than pixels on my screen. Files like this will not only slow down Moho, but result in very large files.

If you draw directly in Moho with the built-in tools, you'll generally have fewer control points, and a much smaller file. Plus, for some reason it seems to be that Moho-drawn artwork is easier to animate than most imported Illustrator files.
hjw

Post by hjw »

maybe if you ad a frame around your art work and export it with every part and then remove it in moho afterwards.

tedious - but might turn out useful. And absolutely quicker than rescaling each by hand.

love expression - bought E1 way back, along with painter.
rylleman

Re: Preserving dimensions of imported vector artwork?

Post by rylleman »

grimble67 wrote:...(Expression 3, from Microsoft)...I exported each layer as a separate Illustrator 7 file, and imported them in to Moho...
Not really relevant to the original post but I thought it better to ask here than start a new thread.
I've been playing around with Expression 3, I think it would be great for creating artwork to use with Moho. I draw each part on different layers and I want to export each layer as a different file but I can't figure out how to do that.
How do you export each layer as its own file?
grimble67

Exporting different layers

Post by grimble67 »

Once all your layers have been drawn, you will have to make all but one of them invisible, then save your file as "pic_layer_1". Switch your visible layer, and save your file as a different name. Repeat this for all of your layers, and you will end up with one image file per layer... now you can import them separately. A little laborious, but it works.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

When you import from Expression, do your objects have a "zillion" points on them in Moho?

I tried a Brush stroke in Expression and then exported/saved as both an EPS and Illustrator file. When I brought the files into Moho the brush stoke was solid points around the outline.
grimble67

Too many points

Post by grimble67 »

Yes, millions of points. At first, I thought it was just a fancy outline indicating the image had been imported, but when I zoomed in, it was like a satellite zooming in on Earth revealling millions of cars (points) driving in the streets (outlines). Since that revelation, I haven't imported vector artwork; I have to do it right inside Moho.
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

In Expressions export settings you can choose "Refit curves to output paths" and you won't get a million points when importing into Moho, but then the paths wont look exactly like they do in expression.
myles

Post by myles »

If you prefer importing vector work from Expression for its drawing tools (e.g. the B-spline tool, or the freehand pen followed by path smoothing), and you do not need the skeletal stroke brushes, convert all your outlines to to basic strokes (PS Strokes) before exporting as AI 7, and you'll find they import into Moho quite nicely, with a workable number of points (far less even than using skeletal strokes with "refit curves to output paths").

Possibly more useful for mainly static background and props layers, while creating your animation layers in Moho, where you have greater control over where points/nodes are created and how they will animate.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
grimble67

Post by grimble67 »

Myles, I must not be a 4 year old, because I can't find that option in Expression 3. Could you give me the steps to convert outlines to basic strokes?

Thanks!
myles

Post by myles »

Hmm, it's probably easier to show you.

I've whipped up a quick visual description - see
http://www-personal.monash.edu.au/~myle ... xport.html

(note: there's a 90kB SWF on that page, so if you're on a dial-up line it'll take several seconds to load).

In summary - select your strokes, hit the PS Strokes (basic strokes) button in the Paint Style palette, export to .ai format.

It's only for importing vector shapes into Moho - if you want to work with strokes, textures, etc, you may be best served using PNGs as objects or fills.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
RASH

Post by RASH »

myles wrote:It's only for importing vector shapes into Moho - if you want to work with strokes, textures, etc, you may be best served using PNGs as objects or fills.
Of course -- if you don't mind the extra work -- you can recreate the stroke effect by tracing those PNGs (just as you would have done with scanned artwork), either with Moho, or with an external autotracing tool. The advantage of this method is that you can use union skinning more effectively in a vector layer than in image layer.
grimble67

Post by grimble67 »

myles wrote:Hmm, it's probably easier to show you. I've whipped up a quick visual description
Wow, thanks for the time and effort to explain what you mean in such a novel and apt way. I was able to import my expression artwork with a fraction of the points. Thanks!