Copy vectors and styles from one file to another

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Copy vectors and styles from one file to another

Post by heyvern »

I didn't know you could do this dagnabbit, so just in case there are others unaware of it I will post it.

You can copy points and shapes and styles from one document, close it, open another document and paste those points. It will keep the fills and shapes and also use the styles associated with it without tagging on the name of the file or layer it came from as it does when you import an AS or Moho file.

Up till now I always imported shapes using import/moho object. This would always tag on the name of the file and layer to the style even if a style with the same name already existed. It made organizing styles a pain in the arse.

If you copy and paste as I described above it uses the style of the open document if it has the same name as the one pasted. If it doesn't exist it creates it in the styles palette. This is brilliant and will save me some work in the future.

-vern
artfx

Post by artfx »

Great tip. Glad to find this kind of stuff as I just get into things.
----
Terrence Walker
Studio ArtFX
LEARN HOW TO Make YOur Own Animated Film!
Get Video Training to Show You How!
Genete

Post by Genete »

If it doesn't exist it creates it in the styles palette.
It does not work for me. Let me show the steps to try to find if I do something wrong.

Files: FileA, FileB
Styles:
In FileA: Style1 (red fill) and Style3 (black fill)
In FileB: Style1 (blue fill) and Style2 (yellow fill)

FileA: One shape green filled with a style applied Style1 so it becomes red.
FileB: Other shape white filled with style applied Style1 so it becomes blue

Steps:
1) Open FIleB select points of shape and press copy in Edit menu. Select style Style1 and press copy in Style window.
2) Close file
3) Open FileA
4) Edit-> Paste and then the shape is copied and Style1 is applied (form FileA, red)
5) Select the shape. Then press paste in style window and the it applies the copied style on the just copied shape. Now it looks blue.

Now the shape shows like style1 from fileB. OK I can use Style1 from B or for A symply unchecking the Line color and File color checkboxes.

Other trial:
Open FileB and apply Style2 instead of Style1 into the shape. It becomes yellow.
repeat steps 1 to 5.
Now the shape continue looking as Style2 from file B but none new style is created in Style window.

I don't now if something is missing...

BTW I'm using AS Pro for linux Beta version.

Regards
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

The style tag is conserved, not the style itself. This means you can copy the object and don't have to reapply styles to the shapes, only create the styles in the new document, or use existing styles with the same style names.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Sorry, I never checked if the styles were overwritten or what. I have a dozen files all with identical styles. In the past I would import moho files and the exact same style would be duplicated with the imported files name. I ended up with bunches of duplicated identical styles.

Now by copying and pasting the vectors everything uses the same styles without duplication.

I would expect that if you do some funky things with different styles with the same names it might be possible to get some odd or unexpected behavior.

For me if the styles are all the same I wouldn't have any trouble.

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

heyvern wrote:Sorry, I never checked if the styles were overwritten or what. I have a dozen files all with identical styles. In the past I would import moho files and the exact same style would be duplicated with the imported files name. I ended up with bunches of duplicated identical styles.

Now by copying and pasting the vectors everything uses the same styles without duplication.

I would expect that if you do some funky things with different styles with the same names it might be possible to get some odd or unexpected behavior.

For me if the styles are all the same I wouldn't have any trouble.

-vern
Don't worry it is a great tip anyway!!! :D
Thanks for share it.