More control over fills?

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mykyl1966

More control over fills?

Post by mykyl1966 »

I just want to know if it would be possible to add a new feature where you can have more control over the fills. e.g. the gradient fills currently there is no way to change the size of the gradient. What I mean is, if I choose a circular gradient there appears to be no way to adjust the width of that gradient or the positioning of the gradient.

If you can add features like this then I am very interested in getting into the scripting side of Moho.

Thanks

Mike R
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Frankly, the fill effects are pretty limited. If you want to add effects to your artwork, you should seriously consider using image layers as textures. Take a look at Tutorial 4.4 in the manual for an example of what can be done with this technique.

You can use images to add custom complex gradients, shadows and shading, etc. Then, if you need to, the layer tools can be used to position these images however you want, and bones can be used to warp them.

It may seem easier to just pick a fill effect from that popup menu, but using image layers gives you all the flexibility you're asking for and solves most of the limitations of fill effects that people dislike.
mykyl1966

Post by mykyl1966 »

I appologise if it seems I am griping with most of my questions so far.

Let me be clear, the more I play with this demo the more I like it.

Put it this way. I have the beginnings of an animation already in play. Scene 1 is already created and I am moving onto scene 2. (I used some 3d props I created in Truespace and Carrara).

Once I get past the can I do this type questions I will be happy. lol. No doubt so will you. ;)

Cheers

Mike R
Oldphart

Post by Oldphart »

Lost Marble wrote:You can use images to add custom complex gradients, shadows and shading, etc. Then, if you need to, the layer tools can be used to position these images however you want, and bones can be used to warp them.
Still new at this but I find this technique problematic at times. I think applying image textures to shapes would resolve my difficulties if one could scale and position the texture on the shape as part of that process (as one can do in virtually all the 3D programs). Or am I missing something?
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

If you use image layers as in Tutorial 4.4, then you can position/scale/rotate the textures on the shape.

The Image Texture fill effect is very limited, while image layers have all the capabilities and flexibility to create lots of good effects.
Oldphart

Post by Oldphart »

Thank you. And my apologies, I thought I had done all the tuts, but I missed that one.