Switch layer not that difficult task

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

binus

Switch layer not that difficult task

Post by binus »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvlQDQl1w2U

For me switch layer is one of the best feature of moho. I think GreyKid Pictures has used the feature at its best.

This one is just a sample and I know it is not even a 1/4th rotation of head but still I think I can have a complete headturn using the switch layer.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

i thought so, but
GreyKid Pictures wrote:
selgin wrote:ok, i think there is a lot of work. probably they used several switch layers for the faces and expressions. a lot of kinematics bones, and a lot of bones.
it's a little difficult make an animation like that alone.
but it's nice to see all what AS can do.
Hi Selgin,

You'd may be surprised to find out that very few switch layers are used, its very time consuming, as 7feet says, in lining all the points up.

7feet hit the nail on the head with the pre animation set up. Think clearly on what you want the animation to do then set it up for that purpose.
HotTaco

Post by HotTaco »

@ Binus, that's pretty sweet. Looks real good.

@ selgin, the post from GreyKid isn't that illuminating. Sounds like he's just saying "No, we don't use that many switch layers, just an extensive pre animation setup."

Anyone know what he's describing?
pncutep

Post by pncutep »

What's a switch layer and how does it work?
HotTaco

Post by HotTaco »

pncutep wrote:What's a switch layer and how does it work?
In the Help file (User's Manual), go to "User Interface" folder, then "Layers Window".

That'll get you up-to-speed. :wink:
Freakish Kid

Post by Freakish Kid »

Selgin,

I'm impressed that you follow our threads with such interest! Reading through the forums you seem to remember everything I say!

Binus,

Looks good! Now try some dialogue and facial acting!

HotTaco,

We try and use as little switch layers as possible because it can get pretty confusing when you get into some intense animation.

GK
HotTaco

Post by HotTaco »

GreyKid Pictures wrote:We try and use as little switch layers as possible because it can get pretty confusing when you get into some intense animation.
GreyKid - I can't tell you how anxious I am to see an example of what you're talking about. The head turns and all the other animated action in "La Reine Soleil" is mind-numbing.

BTW - I'm a HUGE fan of your work. I've been using Flash for almost 8 years now. But after seeing your work, I'm ready to jump ship.
Draw_Girl

Post by Draw_Girl »

Wow, nice. :)
binus

Post by binus »

I uploaded a slightly modified version with half rotation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkq___EJQ8s

greykid - I will be trying with dialogues and facial acting in next phase I think that won't be a tedious task, if it is well planned. This one i have created just for fun without much planning.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

binus wrote:I uploaded a slightly modified version with half rotation
Small critique, if I may: the eyes move unnatural, in both the first and second version. I think they either have to remain fixed in their sockets (not moving relative to the face), or keep looking at a fixed point. In your animation the eyes are "drifting".
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

GreyKid Pictures wrote:Selgin,
I'm impressed that you follow our threads with such interest! Reading through the forums you seem to remember everything I say!
:oops:
Freakish Kid

Post by Freakish Kid »

HOTTACO!

Flash has hit an iceberg and it's goin down... Jump now!

Binus,

When you start to add the acting element of the animation remember a person's head turn from left to right, depending on the emotion, is uaually around 10 - 15 frames. All you need really is a slight turn, try a tilt up and a tilt down.

Pick some dialogue and try to enhance certain sound and words with it. Keep your acting simple and clean. Look in a mirror and act the dialogue yourself taking note of the way your eyes and head act.

Get animating... I'm waiting! :wink:
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

binus wrote:I uploaded a slightly modified version with half rotation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkq___EJQ8s

greykid - I will be trying with dialogues and facial acting in next phase I think that won't be a tedious task, if it is well planned. This one i have created just for fun without much planning.
For a more realistic headturn, instead of the head turning on the same plane, the head should dip down slightly and then up (on an arc). Put a blink in there, too, and maybe have the eyes slightly lead ahead of the turn. It's little subtle things which make the animation more interesting and less mechanical.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
Anime Studio Pro 8.1 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 11.04 : Cintiq 12wx