What's a reel?

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

What's a reel?

Post by Víctor Paredes »

i have contact with a tv producer, he saw my videos, like it, and wrote me a mail that says that i must go tomorrow to his office and let a curriculum and a "reel" with my things. he wrote all in spanish, all less "reel".

what exactly means "reel"?
can i make one really fast?

thanks.
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Selgin, He's rtalking about a showreel(reel). That's just a videotape/cd/dvd compilation of all your animation work (or the the stuff you want people to see), that you've done so far.

Cheers
D.K
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

thanks DK!
ufff...
i can be easy now, i thought i should do something like a really complex flash project with all my things, with buttoms, movements and a lot of stuff that i didn't know how to do.

i can wait now for the last moment to make it, as the good irresponsible person i am... :D

thanks.
DK

Post by DK »

Selgin, if he's asking to see your reel then it sounds like he is really interested in talking to you about something he has in mind. It's not that often you get such a request from a TV station. Normally it's the animator that's trying to shove a reel down the stations throat. Is he the head programmer or will the HP be present at the screening of your reel??

Cheers
D.K
DK

Post by DK »

Opps...i just read back to your first post. If he a private producer he should have his own reel. I would ask to see this to check out his stuff. All producers have showreels. If his work is of a high standard it will help you make any decisions about doing projects together. If he doesn't have a showreel i'de think twice about having anything to do with him.

Cheers
D.K
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

DK, he is the art director and postproducer of a known producer of TV animations in chile. i have seen what they do, and i think i really could be a contribution for the team. i like it.
i hope you be right about he is very interested in my works. tomorrow we'll see.
DK

Post by DK »

Well mate...all the best of luck to you. Sounds fantastic!!!

Cheers
D.K
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I've read that it is usually hard to enter the animation business, because it's all about reputation (and for beginners lack thereof). If you would create your own showreel, ask the receiver what kind of animation he or she would like to see, and only put your best stuff on there. A showreel should give a good impression of your work, not a realistic view (the degree of realism is for your future employer to determine).

Showreels are a promotion tool, nothing more, nothing less. It's like your business card. In fact, some artists like to include a mini CD with their business card, with sample music. It's like their "showreel". Because first impressions count, it should only contain your best work. This applies to all creative jobs, I guess. (Shameless) self promotion is often the only way to get a job or commissions and reputation is king.

So good luck, and I hope it turns out well.
Bones3D

Post by Bones3D »

Showreels are a promotion tool, nothing more, nothing less. It's like your business card. In fact, some artists like to include a mini CD with their business card, with sample music. It's like their "showreel". Because first impressions count, it should only contain your best work. This applies to all creative jobs, I guess. (Shameless) self promotion is often the only way to get a job or commissions and reputation is king.
It's important to mention that any CD-ROM based content should be formatted to use cross-platform compatible formats, such as the FAT-16 file system, combined with common file formats, such as the MPEG file format for any animated content to ensure easy playback regardless of the platform used.

Personally, I would also avoid the 3.5" CD/DVDs due to the increased acceptance of slot-loading drives. Nothing would make a worse impression than offering up media that might potentially harm a prospective client's hardware or be rendered unplayable on their hardware. Best to simply stick to the standard sized media, despite the hassle it is to carry it around.
8==8 Bones 8==8
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Sorry, I meant music artists. Unfortunately, there isn't an established video format, like MP3 in audio, otherwise there wouldn't be that problem you mentioned.

I agree with you that not all current hardware accepts shape cds, and that is a pitty. Again, another art form lost due to "advances" in computer design.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

thank you all.
i got job!

well, it's my professional practice. but it's very good, i'm journalism student and i got job in a framous animation Tv producer (in chile there aro no many tv producers dedicated to animation). the good new is i won't work as a journalist, but as an animator (or, officially, as an "audio-visualist journalist").
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Congratulations Selgin!
Make some great animation now.
DK

Post by DK »

Good on you mate!!!!

Cheers
D.K
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Woohoo! Congratulations!
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Good career change. I'm very glad you found this job, so you can do what you like to do. Congratulations!