SPECIAL REPORT

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Jeronimus

SPECIAL REPORT

Post by Jeronimus »

Ehm; for some reason my previous post here disappeared/got deleted. I'm pretty sure I posted it correctly, so if it got deleted I'd like to know why. I'm just going to post this again because right now I feel there's no reason not to.

A news station, SCG3, reports about mysterious creatures that are being spotted throughout the country, that are neither human, nor are they wild animals... but then, who or what are they?

Audio is from the heavy metal band Lordi's "The Arockalypse", starring Dee Snider from Twisted Sister as the voice of mr. Lordi.

WATCH IT

Please comment :)

(Uzibvqvq Studios is in no way affiliated with Lordi or BMG Finland)
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

If I may...

Once you get past the budget lip-synching, the sound is pretty good. The voices are actually impressive.

The camera work is bad and uninteresting.

The pupils and blinks of the reporter are good.

The way the monster's hand is the wrong way around is bad.

The constant looping sound in the background is irritating.

The way the reporter's hand goes behind his arm when he coughs into his fist is noticeable.

The effort you took to make the thing is good.

The plot is bad.

The monologue that the monster speaks at the end is annoying.

The music that plays briefly at the end sounds cool, but it's only for like 2 seconds.

You can rig a character pretty well. You can do eye animations well. You can use the program's shadow-shader pretty well. You have access to good voice artists.

Now you need a good story and more mouth positions, a more dynamic camera, and an injection of interesting sound effects.

And generally, not so aggressive and angry. There's WAAAY too much of that.
Jeronimus

Post by Jeronimus »

Mikdog wrote:Once you get past the budget lip-synching...
I know; the lipsynch isn't really good. People really don't show that many teeth when they're talking.
Mikdog wrote:The camera work is bad and uninteresting.
Is it? Still, it's supposed to be a news broadcast, or the way people would see it when it's shown on tv. Here in Belgium, there's not that much interesting camera movements on the news. And if the camera work is bad... well, eh, they had a bad cameraman.
Mikdog wrote:The way the monster's hand is the wrong way around is bad.
You're totally right.
Mikdog wrote:The constant looping sound in the background is irritating.
I wouldn't know what you're talking about honestly. I didn't create the audio for this animation (just like I wrote), I just made an animation to it.
Mikdog wrote:The way the reporter's hand goes behind his arm when he coughs into his fist is noticeable.
And so it happens a few time my layer order isn't completely the way it should be.
Mikdog wrote:The effort you took to make the thing is good.
Thank you.
Mikdog wrote:The plot is bad. The monologue that the monster speaks at the end is annoying. The music that plays briefly at the end sounds cool, but it's only for like 2 seconds.
Firstly, I haven't created the audio, it's from Lordi's cd "The Arockalypse". It's the intro to the cd, and after that, the first track bursts loose. But yes, I might've just showed too few of the music.
Mikdog wrote:Now you need a good story and more mouth positions, a more dynamic camera, and an injection of interesting sound effects. And generally, not so aggressive and angry. There's WAAAY too much of that.
Well, for the last time, I didn't create the audio/the story myself, (which also means I don't 'have access to good voice actors'). And it might be too agressive, but that's also not really what I decided, and neither do I think that it's really overdoing it. You know, it's the end of the world...

But thanks anyway, I'll try and improve it.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I now know why some people hate network news reports. Sensationalism brought in a boring way. And I thought Dutch TV was so boring...

Don't mind me. It's all 'bout you and your animation. My advice is to chop the bits into sound bites and try to do animation in such a way, that the viewer gets the most bang for its buck. Make it more entertaining. Play with the actor's facial expressions and body language. You have done some, but I'd like to see much more of that and more extreme.

I'm sorry I didn't watch the animation 'til the end, because I was so completely bored by the presentation. That is often a bad sign... Maybe it is really a bad plot and you need to look for a better one.

Now, that sounded too harsh. Perhaps you could rewrite the plot and make the situation absurd and ridiculous (isn't that a pleonasm?), a bit like Monty Python tried to make fun of the BBC news and authority. Same voices, but a very different visual content.
bupaje

Re: SPECIAL REPORT

Post by bupaje »

Jeronimus wrote:Ehm; for some reason my previous post here disappeared/got deleted.
Actually that may have been me. I was killing a bunch of spam and there was a "URGENT REPORT" from some oil minister needing investors and I went through so fast I may have gotten rid of your too -sorry.

Nice work on your animation.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

@bupaje: phpBB forums are becoming a bit defunct because of the Russian organized crime, spamming each and every phpBB forum, hoping that one hasn't installed the latest security updates.

Perhaps the time has come for forum administrators to upgrade to a paid forum software, or roll one's own forum code in PHP and MySQL.

BTW I hate it when I had to code the word Python, instead of just plain typing the letters. It's quite annoying.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Jeronimus>> Man, I truly enjoyed your SORT OF IMPROVISATION video clip on your site.

If I were you I'd definetely take the live action stuff a bit further. The only issue I saw there was crossing your action axis, but otherwise, the dude with the black hair's a lanks good actor. The other guy also worked. He had a sort of 'DAZED & CONFUSED' film look going.

Great work man. Do a full-length movie. You can do it, bro!

Mike
Jeronimus

Post by Jeronimus »

Hehe, thanks. I guess that "the guy with the black hair" refers to the guy in the black coat (which would be me), so thank you again. The two of us'd planned on doing some more live action stuff, and we've got a lot of projects up our sleeves (lots of moho projects as well actually...) - so yeah, someday something is going to happen with those. Probably. And again, thank you.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Sure thing...and as I said, I am a friend of your fa - mother's.