Bone affecting something it's not supposed to

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

wizaerd

Bone affecting something it's not supposed to

Post by wizaerd »

I have a character boned up, using region binding and points manually assigned. I boned the character and assigned the points, then because I wanted them layered above a bar (rectangle) I dragged the bar into the bone layer. I've double checked to make sure the bones have the correct points assinged, but I'm having trouble with 1 bone. The left arm (upper & lower) move independantly as expected. The right forearm works fine, but the right upper arm, when I manipulate the bone, the whole bartop follows along with it. I've adjusted the bone strengths, although I'm not sure this matters when using region binindg and manual point assignments.

Anybody know what's going on or how I can rectify this?

Here's the project file: http://www.wizaerd.com/hold/BarRoom.anme

Here's a screen shot of how the layers are set up: http://www.wizaerd.com/hold/ScreenShot.jpg
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

Never mind. Even though I never set it, I suspect it was affecting the layer. I chose the Bind Layer tool, and selected in a blank spot on screen. When I next manipulated the bone, the bartop stayed put. I don't believe I set the Bind Layer initially, but there ya have it...
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Just an untested suggestion:

If you really have to put objects which must not move between the layers of your moving characters, you could try and create an orphan bone and bind the whole layer to it via layer binding.

Hm ... I wonder what happens if I create more than one bone on the bone root level? - If anybody wants to test that, don't use your actual work file!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I use "orphan" bones all the time for binding the odd layer here and there.

You can also just... unbind a layer and its points to all bones.

I like using the "extra" bone trick. In case I have to move the shape at some point for any reason. I can move the bone rather than translating the layer.

I like trying to keep as much animation in the bones.. Easier to keep track of.

-vern
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

I was doing more experimenting, was curious if the Bind Layer tool was animatible, frame 0-10, layer not bound to a bone, frame 11-36 layer is bound to a bone, frame 37 - xx, not bound to a bone, etc... But before I could dig deeper into that experiment (anyone know the answer by the way? I never quite got to the experiment part...), I ran into the same issue that started this thread.

I have a project file with a bone layer, and two vector layers beneath that. 1 layer is a rectangle, and that's where my bones are place (using Region Binding and manual point assignment). I also have another layer beneath that with my glass.

Still at frame 0, and using the manipulate bone, when I pose them, my glass layer is affected. Not what I wanted initially. I tried unbinding the layer, does nothing. I make sure no points are selected, and still the glass moves when I rotate the bones. I really have no idea how or why it's being affected.

http://www.wizaerd.com/hold/BindLayer.anme

SO this orphan bone thing? Can I get more info?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

EDIT:

No, binding is not animatable. Points or layers are either bound or not bound.

---------
Select the points of the glass.

Under the "Bone" menu select "relaease points".

That should do it.

This is... kind of... tricky to get the hang of. Trust me... once you "get it" it makes sense. I had trouble with point and layer binding/unbinding at first... now it is just... second nature.

What I did to finally "get it" was create a simple project as you did... and bind and unbind points... layers... etc.. over and over and over until I got sick of it and could repeat it over and over with the same expected results.

I thought I was crazy at first.

Just remember to release or unbind points they must be selected.

-vern
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

Yup, that did the trick... Thanx yet again vern, dunno how I'd get by without all your help... I owe ya a beer sometime!!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I'm thirsty now dude!

;)

Glad to help out.

Ultimately to do the "object pick up" will require two duplicate layers of the "oject". One constrained or bound/translated to the "hand" bone and one not. Get the hand as close as possible to the object. Hide one layer show the other.

I don't see any way around it... unless you "hand keyframe" all of the motion... ick... <shudder>.

-Vern