3D madness

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

BA

3D madness

Post by BA »

ok, this one is really confusing.

I've been trying to bring 3D sets built in MAX into Moho, and noticing a bizarre anomaly:

When I import the set at its actual size (which is built to real-world scale), it is virtually impossible to move the camera, the file chugs to the point of being unusable. I'm using an extremely fast computer - dualcore 3.0ghz with 2gigs of RAM.

Now, when I scale the exact same model down to 1%, and import that version into Moho, it moves just fine. Camera is relatively smooth, and the file is workable.

However, this doesn't work for my purposes, since for the animation that is happening in MAX, it is essential to maintain the realworld scale of the model.

Why is it that the exact same geometry breaks down in Moho depending on its scale? Isn't scale totally relative in these programs? Why is this happening, and how can I fix it?
Create cartoon characters and comics in minutes: www.bitstrips.com
BA

Post by BA »

for anyone interested, i figured it out...

i was using realworld scale in MAX, going by metres... meanwhile unbeknownst to me, the unit scale (even deeper within MAX) was set to inches.

So, anything that was 1 meter, was actually as many units as there are inches in a metre (about 40).

apparently, MOHO doesn't give 2 shits about metres, even though that's what's being displayed in MAX as far as measurements go. I believe it was going by the units all the time.

I figured this out by going into the unit scale in MAX and discovering that it was set to one inch per unit. when I set it to 1 metre... I had to rescale my models (which had become enormous), but when I re-imported them into MOHO, they worked MUCH better.

so, the moral of the story is - watch your unit scale when working with max! there are 2 settings - unit scale and measurement - make sure they match up! and do whatever you can to minimize the units coming into MOHO. There's a huge difference.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Glad you figured it out and thanks for the tip. Will we be seeing one of your huge sets?
BA

Post by BA »

J. Baker wrote:Will we be seeing one of your huge sets?
absolutely... but maybe not for a few more months yet. In the midst of a HUGE moho project, expect an announcement soon...