Genius Tablet

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Genius Tablet

Post by Víctor Paredes »

well, lostmarble knows that genius tablet's pen pressure don't works in moho.

it have be always a problem and i remeber forums where he told that the only way to solve it is buying a tablet, or that somebody send him one to see what happen (because where he lives, there is no genius) (where i live, there is not other tablet:shock:...)

well, i have download the manga studio demo and the tablet works fine.
if now manga studio and AS are from the same company,

is there a way to try solve the problem again?
Patmals

Re: Genius Tablet

Post by Patmals »

selgin wrote:well, lostmarble knows that genius tablet's pen pressure don't works in moho.

it have be always a problem and i remeber forums where he told that the only way to solve it is buying a tablet, or that somebody send him one to see what happen (because where he lives, there is no genius) (where i live, there is not other tablet:shock:...)

well, i have download the manga studio demo and the tablet works fine.
if now manga studio and AS are from the same company,

is there a way to try solve the problem again?
I own a Wacom, so it doesn't affect so much,
But Manga Studio, although released through e frontier US, is licensed from another company in Japan called celsys (released as Comic Studio there)

So, the developers are totally different guys..

PS. LOVE your Snufkin character ;)
AllenC

WACOM

Post by AllenC »

Patmals,

I use the Wacom 4x5 Graphire3 Tablet and Pen (I've aquired 2 extra pens for backup and have not used them yet...lol). Which Wacom do you use?

AllenC
Patmals

Re: WACOM

Post by Patmals »

AllenC wrote:Patmals,

I use the Wacom 4x5 Graphire3 Tablet and Pen (I've aquired 2 extra pens for backup and have not used them yet...lol). Which Wacom do you use?

AllenC
Hey there AllenC!

I have a Wacom Graphire 6x8 though, quite honestly, havent used it as much as i would like.

I read on Wacom's site that the 4X5 is for people who like to use their wrist when drawing and the 6x8 for those who use there arm/ elbow

i think the 4x5 may have been better for me, while saving me some extra cash :)

i will make use of my tablet though..i dont want it gathering dust
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Patmals wrote:So, the developers are totally different guys..
:( , but can't they be friends and help each other?

PS. thanks.
AllenC

ah, the 6x8

Post by AllenC »

Patmals,

I have been forced to use my wrist more than I'd like with the 4x5, but if I'm really in the mood to sketch I'll just grab pencil and paper.

I use the pen-tablet almost exclusively for all tasks on my PC. I especially like the speed in moving points around in the A.S. draw portion. And when it comes to manipulating the bones for animation, I can't imagine going back to a standard mouse for that task.

I got the 4x5 over 2 years ago because it was the only one available locally (got it at a Circuit City here in the States for about $99 USD). It was a bit awkward getting used to at first, I remember playing solitaire with the pen to get a feel for it. After about 30 minutes of that game I was hooked on the Wacom Pen and never went back.

Maybe I'll get the 6x8 or larger at some point. Anyway....break time over, back to working on a character!

AllenC

P.S. I have big plans here, I'm writing a series of bits to animate with a tiny stable of characters. I've roughed out the dialogue for several bits but have not gotten to the storyboarding yet. For now I'm working on the physical development of the toons and how to best rig them (bones, switch layers, etc...you know the drill).
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

selgin wrote:
Patmals wrote:So, the developers are totally different guys..
:( , but can't they be friends and help each other?

PS. thanks.
I really do not know.. However Mike is the chief developer of AS so maybe he can look into it more now as he is connected to e frontier.

:)
Patmals

Re: ah, the 6x8

Post by Patmals »

AllenC wrote:Patmals,

I have been forced to use my wrist more than I'd like with the 4x5, but if I'm really in the mood to sketch I'll just grab pencil and paper.

I use the pen-tablet almost exclusively for all tasks on my PC. I especially like the speed in moving points around in the A.S. draw portion. And when it comes to manipulating the bones for animation, I can't imagine going back to a standard mouse for that task.

I got the 4x5 over 2 years ago because it was the only one available locally (got it at a Circuit City here in the States for about $99 USD). It was a bit awkward getting used to at first, I remember playing solitaire with the pen to get a feel for it. After about 30 minutes of that game I was hooked on the Wacom Pen and never went back.

Maybe I'll get the 6x8 or larger at some point. Anyway....break time over, back to working on a character!

AllenC

P.S. I have big plans here, I'm writing a series of bits to animate with a tiny stable of characters. I've roughed out the dialogue for several bits but have not gotten to the storyboarding yet. For now I'm working on the physical development of the toons and how to best rig them (bones, switch layers, etc...you know the drill).
Awesome!! i look forward to seeing what to seeing into what your planning!
Are you using storyboard software or is it all paper and pen(cil)??
AllenC

Post by AllenC »

Patmals,

I'm approaching my project as if I were producing a weekly comic strip, not the daily strip but as if I was doing one just for the Sunday Paper--only animated and with sound. I'm developing a few characters who will act out some funny ideas and imaginary rants.

Even though I am trying to keep things as simple as possible this will not be accomplished overnight.

I'm getting back to animation now after a 20 year gap. I spent 2 years in high school completing a hand drawn film that lasted less than 2 minutes. Later I studied animation at Edinboro University of Pennsylvania for 3 semesters before dropping out.

To tell you the truth, if it were not for Moho/Anime Studio I would not even be attempting this. Logistically this project would have been too much to take on for one person using traditional animation methods.

Although I will be posting some test clips from time to time the finished products will be saved until I think they are marketable. After all, my childhood dream of doing this sort of thing professionally has been rekindled...and I'm having a blast along the way!

Selgin,

Is it possible for you to have a Wacom Tablet shipped to your location? Or are you so pleased with you Genius Tablet that you won't consider switching?

AllenC
http://www.cartersfolly.com/moho/moho.html

P.S. I guess I'll have to change the name of my MOHO page now too...LOL!
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Good luck! is all i can say to you!

would be something like Peanuts ?

sounds fun!

By the way, i had visited your website before! and i love the wiggly head to the Tequila tune :)

that put a smile on my face when it needed one :)
AllenC

about storyboads

Post by AllenC »

Patmal's wrote:
Are you using storyboard software or is it all paper and pen(cil)??
I didn't mean to ignore your question, I just forgot to respond. I've not yet begun the storyboards but when I do it will likely be digital. I'll make the panels in an old draw program I have and save the pages as .bmp(s). Then I'll import the bmp pages into Procreate Painter Classic, which came bundled with the Wacom Tablet, and sketch them out there.

Ultimately the storyboards only have to suit me since I am working on this alone. It is likely that they will have some non-standard notation that only I will understand...lol!

Some pre-storyboard sketches for the character designs are being done with pencil and paper, though.

AllenC
Last edited by AllenC on Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Great!

So this will be shorts?

Im looking forward to them :)

By the way, have you seen this storyboarding software?

http://6sys.com/Springboard/

at the moment, there is no sound support yet..but the creator plans to put it in as it is a heavily requested item
AllenC

Post by AllenC »

By the way, i had visited your website before! and i love the wiggly head to the Tequila tune
Thanks, I was laughing while making it...it just cracked me up for some reason. That sort of thing is what I meant by having a blast with this again!

The start of that clip could have been animated better, but I was only curious to see if I could sync up the cartoon with audio. Once I was satisfied that I was capable of doing that I just rendered it out and uploaded it.

The instant gratification of seeing if what was done works is a real incentive. Better than shooting a pencil test and sending the film off to a lab like in the old days.

If you have a link for your work I'd love to check it out. I'll do a search on the forum for a link after I post this, in case I've just overlooked it.
would be something like Peanuts ?
...probably not. My sense of humor is very irreverent and often profane...LOL. from ages 33-35 I would perform on open-mic comedy nights when I found the time. After about 23 performances, over a two year period, I had roughly 20 minutes of material. A club in Baltimore, Maryland actually hired me to perform 2 twenty minute sets back in 2001. They didn't pay me much but they let me drink for free and put my name in the Ad for the weeks show. Ultimately I moved on to other things and have found my way back to cartooning, sense of humor intact (hopefully).

AllenC
AllenC

Link

Post by AllenC »

Patmals,

Thanks for the storyboard software link, downloaded and ready to give it a try.

And, yes, they will be short clips. Approximately 20 to 30 seconds each.

The idea is that after the characters and their environments are developed, it will become faster to produce the bits as opposed to creating new characters each time. Of course, new characters and artwork will have to be created as needed, but I'll try to keep that sort of thing to a minimum.

AllenC
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Thats a good idea.

You wont be laboring over one idea. I should consider that :)